Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x-axis back to front

Posted by mattuwattu 
x-axis back to front
October 02, 2010 01:45PM
In my excitement of the build I think I have installed the x-axis the wrong way round, i.e. the stepper for x is not on the same side as the stepper for z.

Logic says i'll just be able to reverse the stepper wires to compensate but is it that simple? Will i cause other problems such as positioning the opto stop etc?

Hope not, i've come this far!

Thanks
Matt
Re: x-axis back to front
October 02, 2010 02:09PM
You could reverse the stepper and adjust the X-axis opto flag, but then you would have a Mendel that printed with an inverted X-axis. That could be fixed in software, not sure how difficult it would be or if the options you need are readily available. Or you could hack the firmware to home with X high and to consider that home position to be whatever coordinate puts zero X roughly where it should be. Or remount the X axis the right way around. Whichever is easier for you.
October 02, 2010 02:17PM
As long as you keep the opto in the same place I don't think it matters. I.e. I don't think you need the reverse the motor. It will still move the carriage in the same direction. The only down side I can see is you need to run wires to both ends of the x-axis.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 02, 2010 02:30PM
I believe all you need to do is reverse the direction in which the X carriage travels and connect your end stop on the other side (where the z motor is located). Don't believe there is a need for any modification to the firmware.
October 03, 2010 04:36PM
Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

Had time to take a look and i've installed the opto on the correct side of the machine, i.e. over the z stepper so that should be fine.

However, looking at the x-axis, if i look upwards at the gear on the x stepper and rotate it clockwise, the extruder will move towards the stepper motor end. From the end of the machine i'm sat it moves from right to left. Now if I had installed the x-axis correctly and the stepper moves clockwise, the extruder will still move towards the stepper end of the x-axis but with the axis reversed it will move across the machine from left to right.

So, I think that i need to either correct the orientation of my axis or do something to compensate. The idea of fiddle with firmware at this stage of my learning curve is perhaps not a good idea! The other option, if possible, would be to have the x-stepper run the in the opposite direction to design intent.

For fear of screwing this bit up, which wires would i need to reverse to have the motor run in the opposite direction?

Thanks for everyones input so far
Matt
October 03, 2010 05:01PM
I think you are wrong. As I said before it doesn't make any difference which end the motor is except to the wire length and routing.

If the motor rotates clockwise, looking from below, the belt will rotate clockwise. That will move the carriage towards the endstop. How does mounting it at the other end change that, the belt still rotates clockwise, the carriage still moves in the same direction.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 03, 2010 05:21PM
After looking and thinking harder, you are right, i'm wrong!

All is well. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login