Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Your Kit Suggestions

Posted by fatesalign 
Your Kit Suggestions
February 09, 2016 05:41PM
After literally a week of research, I believe I've found the kit for me. I've owned a crappy i3, printrbot and Robo 3d R1+. I've unfortunately had to sell them all over the years (I hated the i3 and the printrbot was too small, but the robo sucked to sell). Basically, I'm trying to find a really decent, rarely railing 3d printer for a maximum of $800.

I feel I could do better than the Robo if I went for a kit, and so far, it seems the best kit I've found is the MakerFarm Pegasus 10". I really want a decent build volume and something that is very reliable. I'm fine with adding things over time. Basically, I wanted to know if anyone else had any suggestions before I make the purchase. Thank you.
Re: Your Kit Suggestions
February 09, 2016 06:15PM
Maybe a P3Steel [reprap.org]
Yes it's based upon the i3 but it's using steel for the frame not MDF or laser cut acrylic so it's less likely to flex or go out of being square.
As trying to print with a twisted frame is near on impossible

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 09, 2016 06:48PM
Have you considered a custom machine? It's not for everyone, and it relies on having access to another printer, but you can make a really nice machine for $800.
February 09, 2016 06:49PM
Unfortunately, I don't have access to another printer, and to be honest, I'm not ready for that at this point. Thank you though.
February 11, 2016 11:47PM
I am currently in a design phase using a steel frame shaped like an I3 no printed parts, no steel rods, zero backlash lead screws or belt drives, Nema 17 or 23 steppers, any bed size, Travel 5 meters/second, any extruders using Texas Instruments TIDA 0045 electronics, my main purpose is a machine that is mechanically square and adjustable.to replace an acrylic model I have now. Have all the sources for parts just need to do a CAD design and parts list and cost.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login