Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frame and Precision

Posted by paperfrom 
Frame and Precision
February 23, 2016 03:37AM
Hi everyone,

I've got my crappy i3 from my friends and most of the parts is Chinese. I want to upgrade it, starting with the frame. My question is that "Is the frame have any effect on the precision of the printer?". I read the reprap wiki about the frame but it doesnt have much information about it except the modular type. My opinion is NO but i want to know what you think about it and please tell me which frame do you prefer?

Thank you for your time.
Re: Frame and Precision
February 23, 2016 07:40AM
Yes, of course, it has an effect on precision and print surface quality. All extraneous movement of the extruder nozzle relative to the print/bed results in visible artifacts. Extraneous movement comes from flexible frames and end-supported guide rails, bent Z axis threaded rods, and wobbly bearings. Precision starts with fixing these types of problems, including making a rigid frame.

If you want to see one way of doing it right, click the link in my sig, below.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Frame and Precision
February 23, 2016 08:49PM
I like the looks of the single sheet frame, but I have read that it has an issue with the top vibrating in the y-axis direction at the top. You can either print some parts that attach at the bottom of the frame to make it stiffer or do the fin's on the back like the Wood Sheet frame does. note: Wood Sheet frame needs longer threaded rod that extends far enough out that the fins can be bolted to it. I have a Melamine frame and I occasionally think about getting a aluminum frame.
Also make sure you attach your frame to a flat surface under your printer so that if you move it the frame doesn't get twisted. I'm using a sheet of glass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login