T slot extrusion score!
February 24, 2016 10:29AM
I stopped by a local scrap yard yesterday and found about 19m of 40 mm square aluminum T-slot extrusion. I paid a grand total of $64 for the mixed lot of pieces ranging from 0.57 - 1.73 m. That's $1/lb (sorry! $2.20 per kg). This was a different place than the one where I previously bought scrapped T-slot for $2/lb.

I see that 8020 sells a 2.44 m piece of 40 mm lite extrusion on ebay for $80 including shipping.

The deals are out there- you just have to look! Check your local scrap yards and when you go, wear old clothes, sturdy shoes, take a pair of gloves, and always bring cash!

This should be enough for the next 1 or two printer projects.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: T slot extrusion score!
February 24, 2016 12:27PM
the_digital_dentist
and always bring cash!
unless your local government tried to ban /has banned cash grinning smiley or angry smiley
February 24, 2016 01:01PM
February 24, 2016 05:44PM
Good find ! But they would look a whole lot nicer in the form of a Core X-Y. smiling smiley
February 24, 2016 06:08PM
You can't see a CoreXY in there? I can...

February 24, 2016 06:56PM
Great Deal! My Local scrap merchants didn't know what the hell I was talking about, most only do car parts, any that may get it in at some point throw it in with all the other alu' for the big melt pot in the sky.
February 24, 2016 08:16PM
Show them a picture or take a small sample with you and give them your phone number and have them call you if they get any in. Visit a few times over a fairly short period so they start to recognize you (but don't be a pest!). You can often find other useful stuff like linear motion parts, motors, aluminum plates, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login