Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Brand new Smartrap, still worth?

Posted by Rush 
Brand new Smartrap, still worth?
February 24, 2016 07:45PM
Hey guys, i'm looking for a first 3D printer.

First i was thinking about a i3, but where I live we have a lot of import taxes, so it could skyrocket to 2x the price.
For the same price, but without messing with assembly, import taxes and loooong time to arrive the parts by post office (like 2 months!), I can get a new Smartrap builded and calibrated.

So, what i would like to know is: is the Smartrap so much inferior comparing to the i3? Is it worth to get one?

It´s going to be my first printer by the way - that may be implicit by the simplicity of my question...
Re: Brand new Smartrap, still worth?
February 24, 2016 08:41PM
Are you talking about the Smartrapcore? [smartfriendz.com]

I only have the i3 but I don't see people saying a corexy is inferior.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
February 24, 2016 09:06PM
It´s this one:
[smartfriendz.com]

What i keep thinking is if it would be a good printer for start or some kind of waste money on headache design.
February 24, 2016 10:45PM
I would rather get the smartrapcore kit. You will be taking everything apart on the pre-assembled one at some point anyway.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
February 25, 2016 06:31AM
I have a smartrapcore (wood version).
I have heard really good things about the aluminium version.
The same I would recommande going with the kit because, that way you will learn (the hard way winking smiley).

Well all in all, it depends on what you want to do :
print ?
learn and print ?

My opinion would be that going reprap is the second path ...learn print improve and so on. Then the kit is most advised (and cheaper)
February 25, 2016 01:00PM
Guys, any special thing that i should ask before buy? Any special controler or something like this?

The only thing that i know so far is that it has autolevel bed and 240 degree extruder!
February 25, 2016 02:50PM
I'm pretty sure they use Chinese clone hotends, so be ready to get a new hotend when it dies. In the long run it's worth it anyway.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
February 26, 2016 11:32AM
The Corexy is a well-established configuration that forces the frame to be very sturdy (cube-like) and thus offers advantages if you want to enclose it, as well as stability at high speeds. It also has a single belt which simplifies a bit the setup (you only have to tension one belt for example). There are a plethora of videos online where you can see both CoreXY in general but also smartrapcore. I think the aluminum frame is a very good solution and not much more expensive in their offering than what you can get elsewhere for parts. They use ramps/mega, which is a bit dated but a very good combo to learn with. They also use the proximity probe for bed leveling which is a plus for any newbies out there.

If you want to print ABS and even for PLA a heated bed would be a good addition but you'd have to order a separate laptop-type power source to power it.

Good luck with your build and my advice is don't overthink it. It's much more easier to upgrade from something tangible.

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
March 05, 2016 09:28AM
Guys, everyone are talking about a "cube style" printer, but mine doesn´t.

It´s like this one, but with build size of 20x20x20.
[reprap.org]

Is it a good design?
March 06, 2016 06:46AM
Oh, that one. Then you should think why they evolved to the "cube" version: more stability, capable of being enclosed, rods/rails supported on both ends, higher speeds with less rocking...
These cantilever printers still have their place in hobbyist market by being cheap and they could be a good introduction to 3D printer for someone that doesn't know if 3D printing is the right thing for him. And you can always reuse most of it to upgrade.

Check this one for a current such printer: [www.3ders.org]

Edit:But I am wary of the latest literature pointing to the health risks of fine particulate emitted by the high resolution printing process. My personal belief is that the technology will mature and will lean towards enclosed printers with filtration and some more sensors that will make them better albeit more expensive. What's that difference in price compared to your family's health.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 11:11AM by realthor.

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
March 07, 2016 10:51AM
I built the Smartrap your looking at as my first running 3d printer. Mine was version 4.6. It printed very well once dialed in, but required constant recalibration because if you happened moved it at all you need to readjust it. The newer solid base ones may have fixed that? RegPye's Y axis mod is also worth while. It was a great learning tool, and printed off parts for my next printer. I eventually used my Smartrap parts to build a M8 version of the Funbot. I hope that helps. There is a Smartrap section here BTW.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login