Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huxley mini-mendel and McMaster-Carr parts list?

Posted by pica 
Huxley mini-mendel and McMaster-Carr parts list?
October 14, 2010 10:34AM
Ok, I'm thinking ahead to my next machine, even though I've not finished my first. So does anyone have a list of hardware that they ordered from (preferably) McMaster-Carr to build their Huxley? I'm thinking along the lines of [forums.reprap.org] by Nyarlathotep which I found very handy for my own purchace (reworked and posted on my blog as "beta" here: [markbova.com] )

I know I've seen flickr photos of US made Huxleys, and I know that McMaster-Carr is a popular source of supply, so I'm hoping someone out there kept their "conformation of order" email and could save (and everyone else) me some duplication of effort.

Otherwise, I'll start with the spreadsheet BOM and do it myself. [spreadsheets.google.com]

Oh, and do we need a specific Huxley forum like we have with Mendel and Darwin?

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
Re: Huxley mini-mendel and McMaster-Carr parts list?
October 14, 2010 07:29PM
I ordered from Mcmaster and other places. I would recommend them for pretty much everything except bearings (they can be obtained MUCH more cheaply elsewhere), and of course, machined parts that you can get from reprap-specific vendors online.

I built mine large, almost mendel-sized, but I'll provide my information. The only differences are in rod and belt length, and in the dimensions of the thick sheet parts. Sorry there's no (obvious?) way to link directly to parts on Mcmaster's site.

I used 5 1m M6 threaded rods, part# 98861A070 (these are black rods, see picture).
I used 3 3' 6mm diameter tool steel rods, part# 88625K65
I used .2" pitch belts. Not sure which I ended up using, as my on-the-fly modifications meant going back for new ones a couple of times. The lengths I ended up with were approximately equal to mendel. I would buy a long one first (about 40", just to be sure), then thread it around the z pulleys, using it as a tape measure to determine the exact size of the continuous belt required (the tensioner only gives you about an inch to fudge this length), before installing it on the x axis.

You'll also need a couple hundred each of M3 and M6 nuts and washers (I ended up only using lock nuts for the ends of the frame rods and surrounding the leadscrew pulleys). You'll also need M3 screws in 10mm and 35mm lengths, but most of what you'll need are between these lengths. If I was doing it now, I'd probably get 100 of each of those lengths, as well as 20mm and 25mm. I've been working on updated parts that cut out a lot of the M3 hardware. Keep an eye on my things for the most recent releases.

I got a 12" square sheet of acrylic (black, part# 8505K113) that I used to cut a froglet, and a 8" square sheet of aluminum for a build plate that I had to scrap because it was not flat. DO NOT buy sheet metal for a build platform unless it has a flatness rating (more expensive) or you are equipped to mill the surface flat.

I also bought PTFE tubing, part# 5033K31, for a bowden cable, but I'm currently using a carriage-mounted extruder.

I think that's about it. Any questions, post it here.

[whosawhatsis.com]
October 14, 2010 08:05PM
Thanks,

To create a link to a part for McMaster-Carr you just do this:

hxxp://www.mcmaster.com/#7573A63

Replace the "xx" with "tt", (done this way so the Phorum won't shorten into a link). Sometimes there 's some "cruft" at the end of the part number that you can leave off.

The item above is 2000 degF High-Temperature Silicate Adhesive, which I've bought but not tried yet. Hopefully it will work to glue those power resisters in place. It might be available locally, as it retails as "Rutland Black High Temp Stove & Gasket Cement", with a UPC code of 0 22624 000077 8 , (2.7 fl. oz). From the outside of the package only , this item, [www.acehardwareoutlet.com] , may be the same stuff too, but in a tub.

For a "paste in ready list", create a text file like so:

1 7573A63 #hi-temp cement
1 8505K113 #12" square sheet acrylic, black, for froglet
1 91458A118 #green loctite 290 - penetrating threadlocker for use after assembly, $11.80 for only 1/3 fl.oz. (buy elsewhere?)

The first number is the quantity, the second is the part number, and any reasonable text after that is listed on your invoice as "Your Reference: #my comment "

Lines that do not seems to start with a quantity and a part number are ignored, so you can also add a line like:

#### Metric M8-1.25 hardware follows ####

For another example, see my blog entry here: [markbova.com]

To actually use the parts list, 1) Load it onto the clipboard with a ^C, and go to [www.mcmaster.com] . 2) Click on "Build Order" (right, top of page). 3) Click on "Paste items and quantities", (after ADD button). 4) Paste clipboard into the window that appears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 08:25PM by pica.

--
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
October 14, 2010 08:14PM
Also, I recommend McMaster-Carr for

• wide assortment of cool stuff, a near single source for mechanical parts
  • Fast, fast, fast shipping, like you will have it tomorrow
  • Very clean and easy to use online catalog
  • Easy ordering form

I have regrets only from

• Impossible to get a shipping quote
  • In fact, you will only know the shipping cost when the package arrives
  • Unless they forgot to pack a copy of the invoice
  • I always put something like "Pack sanely, please try to minimize shipping costs" in the space they give you for special instructions.

That being said, shipping for the above linked list ended up as $10.99.

I recommend getting bearing from [VXB.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 08:30PM by pica.

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login