Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper and hot end stop mid-print

Posted by Repier37 
Stepper and hot end stop mid-print
March 11, 2016 05:40AM
Hello,

I have a problem on my Rostock with ramps. It was printing fine but I wanted to change the end effector (the platform) and since my print are stopping mid-print.

The symptoms are :
Stepper are disable (I can move the paltform by hand).
The hotend is not heating anymore.
The heatbed is fine.
The commands are sent form repetier to the printer
On the LCD everything keeps updating (position, temp, fan speed, ETA) as if the print was going on.
If I turn the printer off (unplug usb and switch the atx off) and restart, The stepper control are back (can home the printer)

I have tried printing form SD-Card and throug USB, exact same problem

I have tried Gcode from slic3r and cura

I didn't saw any message error from repetier, everything keeps going as if the print was normal, it seems like I juste have no more power to the stepper and the hot end

Feel free to ask any information or test if you think it can help troubleshooting smiling smiley.
Re: Stepper and hot end stop mid-print
March 11, 2016 05:56AM
Stepperdriver failure from overtemp protection is my first guess. Do you have a fan blowing on the Ramps?
March 11, 2016 06:43AM
Yes I have.

If I understand correctly the overtemp protection, the print should go on after a while waiting, and the hot end would still be heating. Am I wrong ?
March 14, 2016 03:50AM
So no one as any idea of what is going on here ?

My guess is that there is a failure in the stepper+hotend power circuit, but where this failure come from, ramps ? PSU ? Don't know what to do to troubleshoot so any help would be great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 03:52AM by Repier37.
March 16, 2016 01:02PM
I had a freeze that would not resume caused by overheated stepper drivers

Try feeling the heat sink on each driver when it freezes, if one is noticeably warmer try turn down the voltage on it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login