Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hacking Zortrax M200?

Posted by sarf2k4 
Hacking Zortrax M200?
March 11, 2016 10:27AM
Hi, I got a zortrax m200 still working but making up problems due to old age (typical).

I was wondering few things
  1. Can zortrax firmware use Gcode?
  2. Can I use opensource board like arduino due to power the current m200 hardwares?
  3. In accordance to the above, is there anyone succeeded in doing so especially in configuring the firmwares?
  4. Can I flash / upload opensource firmware into the current m200 board?
  5. Can I revert back to the original zortrax firmware if I used an opensource firmware?

It is just that I'm beginning to grow tired of the zortrax systems
Re: Hacking Zortrax M200?
March 12, 2016 01:31PM
I've got the m200 as well, and I too would like to know the answers to your questions.

As far as the printer itself is concerned, I'm still happy with it- though I wish there was a way to open source it.
You probably already know about Z-Temp?
March 13, 2016 01:59AM
It is the first time I heard of z-temp though. Well, about using the gcode, it would be wiser just to test them out directly into the sdcard. Although I've seen zortrax's board and what I can assume is that it uses 24v system and the way to do it is just replace the board. But seeing how the wire from the board connected to the heatbed would make me kinda worry and not to mention the m200 also uses inductive sensor embedded in the perf board

I really don't like the idea of using perf board
June 06, 2016 08:07AM
I've just been asking about this.

I've got 4 of them and they've started burning motherboards. Just started with the 2 newest ones, the extruder heater mosfet is what has been blowing.

Problem is that they're weird and won't sell another motherboard until they've received the old one. Been waiting 3 weeks already since I sent it, no answer.

Looking at how standard all the hardware is, it would have to be straightforward enough to fit a Duet or Smoothie surely?

It's got a 24v power supply, basic pcb/thermistor bed heater (works pretty well, but maybe change to silicone while at it?), nema 17 steppers (just need to confirm under 2A, pretty sure they're 1.2A), a 3mm cylindrical K type thermocouple on the extruder, mechanical limit switches on the XY axis', a decent jog dial display with SD card socket connected by a ribbon cable.......it's all off the shelf basic components.

I'm game and will buy the components if the reprappers will talk me through.

It would be a nice start to open source builds, and get me some printers back up and running.
June 06, 2016 03:15PM
hobbymods
I've just been asking about this.

I've got 4 of them and they've started burning motherboards. Just started with the 2 newest ones, the extruder heater mosfet is what has been blowing.

Problem is that they're weird and won't sell another motherboard until they've received the old one. Been waiting 3 weeks already since I sent it, no answer.

Looking at how standard all the hardware is, it would have to be straightforward enough to fit a Duet or Smoothie surely?

It's got a 24v power supply, basic pcb/thermistor bed heater (works pretty well, but maybe change to silicone while at it?), nema 17 steppers (just need to confirm under 2A, pretty sure they're 1.2A), a 3mm cylindrical K type thermocouple on the extruder, mechanical limit switches on the XY axis', a decent jog dial display with SD card socket connected by a ribbon cable.......it's all off the shelf basic components.

I'm game and will buy the components if the reprappers will talk me through.

It would be a nice start to open source builds, and get me some printers back up and running.

As we discussed by PM, I'll gladly help you configure a Duet 0.8.5 to do this. If you are interested then please start a thread on the Duet forum and provide details of the stepper motors that the machine uses.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 25, 2016 05:33AM
i'm pretty sure zortrax uses standard nema17 motor as well, but the only thing that can be of concern is the type of thermistor used i guess
January 30, 2018 07:07AM
Hi , this forum is still active ?

Sorry for my english im not native winking smiley

Ive come here cause i think i have the same problem

Im french and i got a zortrax in a bankruptcy society without any MB, , and zortrax doesn't want to sell me one.

So i want to use an open source mother board with a friend but we don"t know what use.

He just want to put a ramps MB but i also want to re-use the lcd display and jog dial , cause i want to keep the printer user friendly and without anything not perfectly integrated.

Somebody actualy try it ?

wich kind of MB ?
Can we re-use the lcd screen or zortrax lcd is just fited for the zortrax Mother board ?
The ramps lcd looks like to have the same size , but i can't confirm it ?

Thanks for helping
January 30, 2018 09:25AM
Hello,

It is possible to do, but I don't think we can help you on choosing a motherboard without more informations, because we have no idea what parts zortrax have employed.

Could you post some pictures of the elements (lcd display, encoder & extruder board, etc) you need to connect to the new motherboard ? This way we could try to identify them.

Also you should know it will take some work and time. As far as I can see they produced their own motherboards, with custom plugs : at the very least you'll have to modify all the cabling.

Enfin, si tu préfères t'exprimer en Français, c'est possible ici.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
January 30, 2018 11:14PM
looking around [support.zortrax.com]

Its a big job... non reprap standard plugs, no documentation...

Ive managed to find only one image of the controller and its tiny

And doesn't even want to be linked, but here it is
[ksr-ugc.imgix.net]
January 31, 2018 04:28AM
You can also catch some glimpse of their mainboard in their support videos, like "how to change the extruder" etc.

But as olivmouth have one he can contribute some good pictures !

January 31, 2018 08:55AM
Hi glad to see this subject is still active.

the power is 24v
the motors are Nema ( as said by a french seller )

the architecture is quite same as some printer
3 motor nema
3 end sensor

2 temp sensor

, maybe the hardest part is the lcd . its hard to identify the circuit without unplug some part.

1517406799-img-3878.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406660-img-3877.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406648-img-3875.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406683-img-3873.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406675-img-3872.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406724-img-3869.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406786-img-3867.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406782-img-3866.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406802-img-3865.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406797-img-3864.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
1517406786-img-3863.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
January 31, 2018 09:11AM
BTW i got all the necessary tool to change all the plug if we need.

In first i want to have a working printer.
and in second time if we can that could be very interisting if i can use the lcd display or find compatible lcd ( same size )
February 01, 2018 04:32AM
Apart from the LCD, I am fairly confident everything is easy to use on a ramps by just doing the appropriate wiring and firmware configuration - but that's already some good amount of work.

From the marking on the flat cable and board, the LCD controller seems to be an SSD1322U, probably driving a 256*64 graphical oled.

I don't think this is supported directly in Marlin firmware, but there is an arduino library for that so you could add the support if you can code: [github.com]
Or you could replace it with a 128*64 display which is supported.

Other firmwares : 8 ( ! ) years ago someone was working on driving that in repetier firmware : [forums.reprap.org]
This might have succeeded as nowadays there seems to be soem reference about this display in repetier firmware - search for "1322" in that file : [github.com]

Note that repetier also runs on some 32 bits motherboards, you might want to use that for a moderner setup.

I've only spent some minutes looking around for information, so you can probably get more.

February 02, 2018 03:24AM
I think its better to go on some recent Mother board with more option like duet3d mother mother board.

for the wiring its not a problem , maybe the software part is harder , i go see with my friend who is better than me on this parts.
February 05, 2018 06:04AM
Ok for the wiring its very easy , the motor can be pluged on a megatronic V3 wihout any change ( that doesnt fit perfectly but that work )

and for the end sensor just need to separate the pin , isolated it with tape , and plug it to the pin of the mother board.
July 01, 2018 06:57AM
Hi guys,

I am currently converting an M200 to Reprap electronics. Good news is I am documenting the build on YouTube.

Board is RUMBA, steppers are 0.9 NEMA17.

Build platform will have additional magnets added to hold a Prusa MK3 flex plate. There are two threaded holes at the back of the build platform (perforated plate removed) that line up exactly with the MK3 plate notches. It's uncanny.

Currently designing and iterating a Z endstop holder but my next step after this will be the fitment of a BLtouch.

Please check out the videos:

Part 1 (RUMBA change, configure Marlin from scratch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScTl4z5MHsg

Part 2 (Change steppers, design and make custom replacement breakout board PCB to interface ribbon cable from hot end to main board): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwQHdjVEKc

LCD change to come, hoping to keep it looking fairly neat. From what is posted here it seems too hard to retain the Zortrax unit.
July 22, 2018 11:03AM
Hi guys,

I thought this thread is dead because there hasn't been any replies for more than a year, but it came back. Thank you for trying to keep this thread alive.

I do see someone modified the zortrax with open source electronics but unsure what board did he use.

I'm sure those who wanted to modify the zortrax mainboard or swapping, already grew tired of the zortrax systems, furthermore at 2018, (I'm pretty sure) they still uses perforated board that forces us to keep using rafts that is quite wasteful.

What board would you guys to recommend me to get?

@teachingtech, it is nice to have the guide. I was actually worried about the heater parts whether or not it will be compatible directly. Furthermore the stock zortrax m200, they uses the nozzle's end to sense the height.

What happened to the original board of the extruder part in your second video that you said it is a thermistor? I am thinking, can the stock zortrax extruder board be used directly on marlin or any open source firmware?
July 22, 2018 02:55PM
There have also been a few Zortrax M200 conversions to use Duet electronics, see [forum.duet3d.com].

I understand that the M200 uses a thermocouple to measure heater temperature, not a thermistor. So you will either need to get electronics that supports thermocouples (with an adapter if necessary), or you will need to replace the thermocouple by a thermistor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login