Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows 10 is not suited for 3D printers ?

Posted by amigob 
Windows 10 is not suited for 3D printers ?
March 15, 2016 06:53PM
I now had twice that Microsoft wanted to update my laptop when it was doing a 3D print with Repetier.
The first one it rebooted when a print was going on. And now I could stop ( pro spoon ) so that the print could finish.

So my conclusion is windows 10 is not suited for 3D printer host ?
Re: Windows 10 is not suited for 3D printers ?
March 15, 2016 06:57PM
I expect you can disable automatic updates to provide a more stable environment. But the easier solution is to run long prints from SD card.
March 15, 2016 08:26PM
Windows 10 isn't suited for anything but the recycle bin. This is not the first story I have heard about 10 doing this. And AFAIK, the non-pro version has no way to disable the updates.

JUST SAY NO TO WINDOWS 10!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 08:27PM by ElmoC.
March 15, 2016 08:35PM
+1 for recycling windows 10. If you bought 3D printer, the price of SD card and Raspberry pi isn't that big investment. And Octopi isn't that hard to install or maintain.
March 15, 2016 11:35PM
Windows 10 is deliberately setup not to allow users to disable updates (and I think that disabling updates is just asking top be hacked)

But, you can set when it will reboot, and ask before it does (most of the time)
see [archive.techarp.com]

Ill continue to use Linux myself.
March 15, 2016 11:48PM
Dust
ask before it does (most of the time)

And there in lies the problem. Personally, I refuse to use any system where some faceless company thinks they know more about my system than I do.
March 16, 2016 12:38AM
There are a lot of people who would say a direct data connection to ANY computer is not suited for 3D printing. SD card does circumvent a lot of potential issues.
March 16, 2016 04:36AM
For now I will block all Microsoft IP addresses in my router.
I need to find a cheap HDMI monitor, then I can use my RK3288 HPH TV box for host.
I also will check if I can upload the complete Gcode, but then you can't really follow
the progress on the monitor.
March 16, 2016 04:44AM
amigob
For now I will block all Microsoft IP addresses in my router.
I need to find a cheap HDMI monitor, then I can use my RK3288 HPH TV box for host.
I also will check if I can upload the complete Gcode, but then you can't really follow
the progress on the monitor.

Rasp Pi - $35
WiFi Dongle - $10 (Optional)
OctoPrint (OctoPi) - Free
Not running Windows 10 - Priceless

For around $45, you have a system you can easily monitor from any web browser. Upload complete gcode files. You can even run Cura on it and uploads/slice files.

(This is for US)
March 16, 2016 05:04AM
I’m playing with a potential replacement for all of that, a little more expensive than a pi but comes with touch screen (if you get the wifi module)

MKS TFT28 V1.2 display (there is also a larger screen model MKS-TFT32)

Its actually a stm micro controller and touch screen, also has a usb port! as well as standard sd card.

some of it is change-able (ability to edit graphics) but the main code I haven’t been able to find.. (probably not open source)

(I've only had one of these for 30 mins, not actuly plugged into a printer yet, weekend job)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 05:08AM by Dust.
March 16, 2016 05:29AM
lol their github includes a crack utility... good luck, looks like a neat piece of hardware.
March 16, 2016 09:19AM
Dust
MKS TFT28 V1.2 display (there is also a larger screen model MKS-TFT32)

I would stay as far away from that as possible. That is a display from another printer and it looks like the software is pirated. Why else would they need to "crack" it. And you are probably right. The code isn't open source and these people probably aren't licensed to do what they are doing.
March 16, 2016 04:56PM
Nothing from china is licensed!!! But in this case since they aren't ripping off an open source project, I don't care tongue sticking out smiley
March 16, 2016 05:01PM
So what is the original product they have copied? It looks interesting.
March 16, 2016 05:11PM
I think it is original, I've not seen anything similar for reprap.
March 16, 2016 05:11PM
Dust
Nothing from china is licensed!!! But in this case since they aren't ripping off an open source project, I don't care tongue sticking out smiley

So just because it's not open source, it is fine to steal huh? Great morals there.
March 16, 2016 05:23PM
@ElmoC

As I said above, I Think its an original project, and the previous comment was tongue in cheek (thus the tongue sticking out smiley emoticon) please grow a sense of humor
March 16, 2016 11:01PM
IDK guys. Ive been running W10 for some time and never had it reboot for updates.
I solely run my printer from USB without issues. Anything over a 5 hour print goes on the SD card though.
March 16, 2016 11:33PM
It normally seems to reboots at 3:30am... which most people don't notice (unless they doing a long print! or night owls)

See [lifehacker.com] to check.
March 17, 2016 05:03AM
My Windows 10 always reboots during the evening, so I am unlucky or you are lucky :-)
I only have Windows 10 running on one system, all other are Windows 7 or 8.1
March 17, 2016 05:06PM
Maybe the default reboot time is related to geographical location?
March 17, 2016 07:29PM
You can disable the windows 10 update service from services manager. Although setting yourself a reminder to turn it on once a week might be a good idea. I second the sd card as the way forward or maybe even one of those wifi sd cards so you don't have to keep changing cards.

I found cutting the cord to the pc only feels right when the printer is printing very reliably.
March 18, 2016 07:39PM
No matter what operating system you have somebody hates it. Apples fall from trees windows fog up seems if you can afford a 3D printer then a separate laptop with any OS including Windows 10 that you only connect to the internet for OS and virus def updates might be a choice or simply never update with CAD and printer software
March 18, 2016 07:45PM
Roger123D
No matter what operating system you have somebody hates it. Apples fall from trees windows fog up seems if you can afford a 3D printer then a separate laptop with any OS including Windows 10 that you only connect to the internet for OS and virus def updates might be a choice or simply never update with CAD and printer software

Or go with a Raspberry Pi with OctoPrint. $35 + $10 if you want WiFi.
March 19, 2016 08:40AM
> that you only connect to the internet for OS and virus def updates
If you use it only for 3D printing and not connect it ever to the internet/Ethernet, then you don't need updates at all :-)
But then you also loose flexablity.
March 19, 2016 08:46AM
IMO it's a bad idea to use a PC running a general-purpose operating system to print directly over USB. I always upload files to the printer's SD card (over Ethernet) before I print them.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 19, 2016 10:22AM
I wounder if this isn't what wrong with windows 10 . [hackaday.com]
March 19, 2016 11:42AM
Worrying, and a little harsh on consumers when the people who need to be targeted are the cloners. This type of direct action against end users rarely solves the problem and is more likely to generate bad publicity than encourage sales of genuine devices.
March 19, 2016 12:12PM
DjDemonD
Worrying, and a little harsh on consumers when the people who need to be targeted are the cloners. This type of direct action against end users rarely solves the problem and is more likely to generate bad publicity than encourage sales of genuine devices.

Could also result in a class action lawsuit. About a decade ago DirecTV did something like this where they sent a code that literally destroyed hacked access cards. A side effect of that was a lot of valid subscribers were also hit. From what I remembered, they lost a suit about it because it is illegal to purposely damage parts like that. I would think the same thing would apply in a case like this when it is the innocent user, i.e. valid subscribers to DirecTV, are impacted by the manufacture deliberate actions.
March 19, 2016 12:31PM
Yeah it's one thing to dissuade people from buying non-genuine but it is malicious property damage to disable a device even if it is a copy of your design.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login