Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help getting new Wiki accounts

Posted by MattMoses 
Help getting new Wiki accounts
March 17, 2016 11:28PM
*NEWS* Asking someone else to create a wiki account is no longer needed. See message.

If you would like a RepRap Wiki account and you do not have one already, please send a PM to MattMoses or DeuxVis or thejollygrimreaper and we can set one up for you.

In the PM please include a valid email address and your desired username for the wiki account.

At the moment, the only way to get a new wiki account is to have an admin set one up for you manually. We have been having trouble with spam on the wiki, and for this reason new account creation has been limited. The spam problem is ongoing and we are still fine-tuning our response, so please be patient. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2018 03:14AM by DeuxVis.
Re: Help getting new Wiki accounts
May 23, 2016 03:58PM
I see reason for limit new account creation. OK. But pls, put 'Create account' button with link not to create account form but to explanation page.
I did 15 minutes of futile search on all possible wiki pages - it's Log in button here, it must be Create account button somewhere too, IMHO.
June 09, 2016 10:39PM
zio.pietro
I see reason for limit new account creation. OK. But pls, put 'Create account' button with link not to create account form but to explanation page.
I did 15 minutes of futile search on all possible wiki pages - it's Log in button here, it must be Create account button somewhere too, IMHO.
I have the same problem
July 13, 2016 03:05PM
zio.pietro

Agreed. I created an account and spent 15 or 20 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't add the description for M100, G27 and G26.
September 21, 2016 03:38PM
I agree with the obstacles for a new account. It makes the wiki less prone to occasional disruptions. This is very important because the reprap wiki is also a repository of prior art information against patents. The more difficult it is to modify the contents, the more reliable and court-friendly the information is.
February 17, 2017 08:14AM
Making something difficult is not a particularly good way to mitigate integrity.
Surely version control, and peer review is better.
August 27, 2017 07:35PM
Thought about getting an account, saw this thread, scratch, post to my own sites.

thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2017 07:35PM by TJM3D.
September 24, 2017 04:25AM
May I second this;

In particular the way to get an account isn't to send a PM - think about it you can't send a PM unless you are already registered DOH...

You actually get a 'create profile' link if you try to send a PM by looking at someone's profile...

Not a way to grow a forum.
September 24, 2017 04:38AM
You send a PM from your forum account to request a wiki account.

These are separate entities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 04:45AM by Dust.
impress 3d delta
March 26, 2018 07:13PM
hola a todos si alguno tiene los planos y medidas me lo pasan
March 26, 2018 07:29PM
You send a PM from your forum account to request a wiki account.

These are separate entities
May 26, 2018 08:32PM
Wiki registration is currently open. New users will have to fill out a reCaptcha to register, create new pages, and edit pages. Once your account is three days old and you have 5+ edits, you should no longer see the reCaptcha every time you try to edit the wiki. If this is not the case for some reason, please let me know.
March 05, 2019 05:24PM
b4ndit
Wiki registration is currently open. New users will have to fill out a reCaptcha to register, create new pages, and edit pages. Once your account is three days old and you have 5+ edits, you should no longer see the reCaptcha every time you try to edit the wiki. If this is not the case for some reason, please let me know.

It seems to me that, despite the reCaptcha, the Wiki user registration is being inundated with bogus user registrations.
It seems like new users are being created every day, that clearly are advertising names, and not reasonable user names.

Any admins who can/will look into this?
March 05, 2019 05:41PM
@MrAlvin

I posted about that to Administration [reprap.org] back in February... no reply sad smiley
February 05, 2020 11:36AM
These accounts are getting created because reCaptcha isn't stopping them (I replied to Dust's linked topic with more details). However, my stance is that it's not really causing a problem. Annoying? Yes. However, besides seeing them being created in Recent Changes, they don't pose a problem to server resources or anything else. The reason why they don't post SPAM 95% of the time is because they get caught by the AbuseFilter rules.

I was planning on doing a purge of these accounts, but by today's count, there are only around 2000 of them.

The reason I opened up registration was because I viewed it as a confusing hurdle new users had to jump through. When I joined the site, I wanted to update the wiki, but didn't because I couldn't figure out how to create an account. Once I found the forum topic on how to get an account, I figured it was too much hassle since I just needed to make a few small corrections. That's what has influenced my stance on the topic.

I'm following this topic, so if you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know.
March 17, 2020 08:04AM
Making New account is quite difficult now these days.
October 11, 2020 08:42AM
The wiki change log [reprap.org] strongly disagrees with you

Look at all those new accounts.
September 22, 2021 09:23AM
Hello Guys,

I m new member in this community.

Brush Your Ideas
November 24, 2021 03:35AM
Hello, I would like to make a translation for the page about skr, but the system does not allow me to do this
Attachments:
open | download - skr-ru.JPG (223.9 KB)
VDX
November 24, 2021 03:55AM
... was it your first Wiki-edit? - the system has some "hurdles", installed after spammers and spam-bots injected spams and other nonsense eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 24, 2021 04:12AM
@Lizardjazz1 you are tripping the rule "Prevent new account from adding links to pages"

Since your new a the page is full of links.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 04:17AM by Dust.
November 25, 2021 01:20AM
Dust
@Lizardjazz1 you are tripping the rule "Prevent new account from adding links to pages"

Since your new a the page is full of links.
Ok, I get it, I added a page without using links, later I can add links the same as in the original article? smiling smiley
November 29, 2021 10:10AM
For transparency, you can view the rules here: [reprap.org]

The wiki uses custom Captcha and the AbuseFilter rules to prevent SPAM bots from destroying the wiki.

Edit: I'm also following this topic, so if anybody has any questions regarding the rules in place, post your question here and I'll try to respond.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2021 10:13AM by b4ndit.
March 07, 2022 01:39PM
Hello,
I'm getting started on updating the FoldaRap build manual to 4.0. I've copied over the current build manual to a separate "FoldaRap 4.0 Build Manual" page (as not to not to spam the main build manual with WIP stuff), and hit the "Prevent new accounts from adding links to pages" spam rule. Would you mind unblocking me? The username is "mmalecki" (same as on the forum).
June 20, 2022 01:00AM
How long do we have to wait before we don't count as new users anymore? I tried to update the CoreXY page with some more current information about Vorons, but it won't let me add any links.
August 15, 2022 04:47PM
clee
How long do we have to wait before we don't count as new users anymore? I tried to update the CoreXY page with some more current information about Vorons, but it won't let me add any links.

You can find that information here: [reprap.org]

The last rule in the list states no links are allowed if a user is less than an hour old or has less than 5 edits. It's an easy obstacle to overcome, but massively decreases the amount of SPAM on the wiki because the bots just want to blast as many links as they can as quickly as they can.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login