Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nema 17- Taller vs short?

Posted by scarecrow2k6 
Nema 17- Taller vs short?
March 19, 2016 09:00PM
Hello everyone,
I am trying to build an extruder setup and shopping for a Nema 17 motor. While browsing online, I have found there are two types of Nema 17s. One is the regular one and the other is a bit shorter, so I was wondering which one to get? What are the differences between the two? Which one is better? Thanks!
Re: Nema 17- Taller vs short?
March 19, 2016 09:57PM
Shorter normally has less torque, you want lots of torque in an extruder.
March 19, 2016 10:18PM
Thanks a lot Dust!
March 19, 2016 10:27PM
How about a geared one?

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
March 20, 2016 01:24PM
Geared might help especially with 3mm filament, you could downside your motor to a nema 14 or nema 11 with suitable gearbox for a lighter extruder with 1.75mm, but too high a gear ratio makes retraction potentially too slow. That being said I'm using a flex3drive with 40:1 gearing and it still retracts reasonably well.
March 20, 2016 04:31PM
scarecrow2k6
Hello everyone,
I am trying to build an extruder setup and shopping for a Nema 17 motor. While browsing online, I have found there are two types of Nema 17s. One is the regular one and the other is a bit shorter, so I was wondering which one to get? What are the differences between the two? Which one is better? Thanks!

You really need to give more information on the extruder's design you are going to use. 3mm extruder without a gear ratio might need a high torque low current nema17. However geared 1.75mm extruder would work fine even with smaller motors such as nema14.

And if you are not using a bowden design then it is a good idea to go with a shorter lighter motor if a longer one brings no benefit.
March 21, 2016 01:49PM
Sorry should have said a bit more about my plan, yes it is a Bowden setup for 1.75mm filament. So for a Bowden setup, it is necessary to use a higher torque motor? Thanks.
March 21, 2016 01:51PM
No I'd say with mk8 type drive gears even a 40mm nema 17 motor (make sure its the 1.68A type not the 0.4A type) will drive it perfectly well. Print quality will depend on the filament and bowden tube length though. Keep the tube as short as possible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login