Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Removing 3M 468MP adhesive

Posted by WZ9V 
Removing 3M 468MP adhesive
March 21, 2016 10:26AM
I've tried Goo Gone Pro but it's just not dissolving the 3M 468MP adhesive.

Can someone recommend a solvent that will dissolve the adhesive. I'll trying to cleanup a glass plate for a new layer of PEI but having a devil of a time getting rid of the old adhesive.
Re: Removing 3M 468MP adhesive
March 21, 2016 10:55AM
Acetone, lots of it, and a couple of the kitchen scourers. you have to remove it progressively, ie, bit by bit gradually. Then use kitchen towels with Acetone.

it is useful to use a sharp blade scraper to get the bulk of it off first.
March 21, 2016 04:46PM
Thanks. I have the bulk of it off and now I'm down to film that just won't let go. I'll go at it with scrubbers and Acetone.
March 22, 2016 10:08PM
I feel for you. I just did that a week ago and used heat, acetone, orange oil (same as goo gone) and a scraper. Spent a good 4 hours making the glass usable again and made a major mess in the process. One person mentioned putting it in the freezer for awhile and another mentioned a product called "Rapid Remover" it's made for removing vinyl lettering like on signs and vehicles.

Good luck and wear gloves.
March 22, 2016 10:39PM
There are times when I think maybe I should just buy another glass plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 10:39PM by WZ9V.
December 25, 2016 11:24AM
You people are making things much more difficult than you need to.

3M 468MP (or 3M 200MP) adhesive is easily removed. You just take a blob of Peanut Butter (Creamy... Not Chunky!) and smear a thin layer across the surface to be cleaned. Try to get a 1/16" layer across the entire sheet. Then just wait over night and use a squidgy to remove the peanut butter. And then soap and water to remove the grease and oil from the peanut butter.

I just did a 400mm x 400mm silicon heater pad with only 10 minutes of actual work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 11:26AM by Roxy.
December 25, 2016 12:54PM
I've found alcohol to be more effective than acetone.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
October 25, 2017 04:03PM
Roxy

3M 468MP (or 3M 200MP) adhesive is easily removed. You just take a blob of Peanut Butter (Creamy... Not Chunky!) and smear a thin layer across the surface to be cleaned. Try to get a 1/16" layer across the entire sheet. Then just wait over night and use a squidgy to remove the peanut butter. And then soap and water to remove the grease and oil from the peanut butter.

I just did a 400mm x 400mm silicon heater pad with only 10 minutes of actual work.

You are so right - peanut butter overnight works amazingly well! 98% off with the first pass of my scraper, then a final round with isopropyl to get off the rest. SO much easier (and less toxic) than the last time I did it (2 hour acetone/alcohol ordeal).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 04:04PM by yonkiman.
October 25, 2017 04:31PM
I'll bet is smells delicious the next time you turn on the heater!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 25, 2017 05:48PM
really? Peanut butter.....

damn I have my bed soaking in acetone all night right now....

Used a zip lock static bag as acetone does not dissolve it and I can use a much smaller amount of acetone in there.

Still, I have to remember to try this one!!!
October 26, 2017 03:31PM
Alcohol or gasoline works best.

3M also have a gel that is fantastic for most.
Haven't used it for some years. (expensive)

I do work with adhesives every day. (sign and graphics)
I have never heard about peanut butter..

Ill try that next time I have a customer visit.. lol
October 30, 2017 03:07AM
I had the same problem (spent 4 very messy hours first time) then someone mentioned "Rapid Remover" and it works but it needs help in the form of a GOOD razor scraper ( A cheap one will hurt you) and you should be able to clean off all the glue in 10 minutes.'

February 25, 2020 04:10AM
Roxy

Sorry for resurrecting such and old post but I just wanted to give a big thanks Roxy, Peanut Butter works unbelievably well. I thought it was maybe a prank but it was worth 2 TBSP of Peanut butter to find out. Overnight wrapped in Cling Film and the adhesive just scraped right off. A quick wash and scrub in soapy water and its totally clean. 10 minutes work and saved so much hassle.
April 30, 2020 03:54PM
I think the peanut butter "tip" was a prank. I just peeled off a well-used PEI film from my magnetic print surface, and applied a layer of peanut butter to the remaining residue, and left it overnight in an old spool baggie. At least 17 hours later, I took it out and scraped off the peanut butter, to find all of the adhesive residue still on the metal sheet. It literally took none off, and barely reduced its residual stickiness.

Gonna have to let it soak in some acetone or alcohol instead I guess.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
April 30, 2020 07:03PM
WZ9V
I've tried Goo Gone Pro but it's just not dissolving the 3M 468MP adhesive.

Can someone recommend a solvent that will dissolve the adhesive. I'll trying to cleanup a glass plate for a new layer of PEI but having a devil of a time getting rid of the old adhesive.

I have removed 4 bed surfaces, have always used goof off adhesive remover.

Cool the bed peel the surface in one or two pieces, as sometimes the surface tears. Then remove adhesive with goof off adhesive remover.
Following the instructions will help, apply an even thin layer of goof off adhesive remover. Allow to sit while the adhesive remover works, then using a putty knife remove the adhesive.
After hearing so many horror stories of how hard some work to remove, I could not believe how easily the adhesive accually was removed.

However it does come off in a gelatinous mess, this is why I use a putty knife and paper towels to wipe the putty knife.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 01, 2020 02:18AM
AbuMaia
I think the peanut butter "tip" was a prank. I just peeled off a well-used PEI film from my magnetic print surface, and applied a layer of peanut butter to the remaining residue, and left it overnight in an old spool baggie. At least 17 hours later, I took it out and scraped off the peanut butter, to find all of the adhesive residue still on the metal sheet. It literally took none off, and barely reduced its residual stickiness.

Gonna have to let it soak in some acetone or alcohol instead I guess.

I assure it was not a prank, I wonder if your adhesive was something different. I don't know, all I do know is that for me it was shockingly effective.
April 24, 2021 04:24PM
Soaking the glue with wd40 and letting it sit for a few hours, used a razor scraper and 10 to 15 min, it was done. Cleanup with 99% ipa, and the new sheet is on. This was on a flex plate.
April 24, 2021 10:57PM
Paint stripper works.

April 25, 2021 03:53AM
DD has experience in this area...didnt go too well and a new one needed to be sourced, now my dilemma is with 3m or without?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2021 03:53AM by MechaBits.
April 25, 2021 06:40AM
Get a heater without the adhesive, and stick it to the bed plate with silicone.

April 25, 2021 06:33PM
Is the silicone easier to remove after heating or just the same? wonder if i'll have to ditch my wood was looking forward to using it, currently looking at a 200x300 mains heater but I have 600w or 750w and it only comes with 3m, though it's not a branded keenovo.
April 25, 2021 10:38PM
Using silicone to glue the heater down is a one-way trip. I don't think anything will make it let go once it sets.

If you mean does heating it up get the 468MP to let go? Yes, but be careful, especially if it's a high powered heater. Turn on the power and heat it up, then kill the power, then try to peel the heater off the plate. Wear gloves so you don't burn your hands.

April 27, 2021 12:50AM
So sticking it direct on glass is a really bad idea, i've seen a few doing it, looks like I need to find a good heatspreader, but probably wont find something suitable for much less than the price of a proper mic-6 bed support, 350x350 will complete the machine off nicely.
April 27, 2021 07:12AM
Don't stick the heater to glass. Glass has low thermal conductivity so the heat will be uneven and you'll have hot and cool spots that can make it hard to get prints to stick. The best thing anyone has come up with so far is cast aluminum tooling plate. It's flat and will spread the heat nicely.

Thermal image, heater on glass:

Thermal image, same heater on cast aluminum plate, 1/4" thick:

July 24, 2021 03:12PM
Carborator Cleaner and razor. Adhesive comes off without a mess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login