Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Software, Firmware, Memory Sticks, Drawings, Mendle

Posted by andrew van ees 
Software, Firmware, Memory Sticks, Drawings, Mendle
October 23, 2010 09:41AM
Interesting subject line eh. Okay this is why I typed it, I need someone to organize all the software needed to both run a mendle, update firmware, draw 3d stuff and output to mendle. Also needed is a spreadsheet with all parts needed to produce a mendle listed by electronics, printable parts, etc, etc. Also needed would be the 3D mendle drawings. Everything on one 4gig memory stick for each individual operating system. So like one 4 gig for windows 64bit, one for windows 32bit, one for Osx, one for Linux, Totalling 4 different memory sticks. All the programs would have to be in executable zip files that install into the appropriate directories and there would have to be separate text files produced in note pad explain who produced the software or appropriate files, what the software/files is for, how to install the software/files, and where info is to properly run files. This way there will be available on spot for everything and someone who gets one of these sticks will be able produce a mendle and pass on the info to friends more easily.

I am going to pay who every does this $150 * 4 memory sticks = $600, this way I have all the info for all the different operation systems at hand, only I can not pay until after Jan 15/2011.

I would like who ever decides to go for this to contact me first and show me a list of all the software they plan to put on the sticks so I can make sure they have covered everything.

For those of you who may see moral issues with this or see the hand of corporate greed coming forward, I am not a corporation I am simply someone who wishes to make it easier on my friends to produce mendels and pass on software. I am however planning to try and run some kind of parts supplier for mendles as I love the idea behind it. About the moral issues I did ask the person to produce text files on each software to include who produced it and why, they should also probable include a link as to where to find it, so people can find updates for the software.

To contact me send an email to anarkist4now@yahoo.ca

Regards,

Andrew van Ees

P.s sorry for any typing or grammatical errors.
Re: Software, Firmware, Memory Sticks, Drawings, Mendle
October 23, 2010 12:00PM
Ok, I'll ask the obvious question, why not just do it yourself? Collecting files together onto a memory stick, or simply making up an image file of all these is relatively simple. "All the software" is a bit nebulous as you don't say what electronics you plan to run it on or anything else. Given that there is no "one way" to do any of this, you have to establish the way you want to proceed, and then choose the files, which brings me back to why don't you just do it yourself.
If the answer is that you don't know yet what you want, perhaps you might spend time researching the various ways to go about doing things before committing to pay (in the future), and certainly before opening any kind of supply store. You may also want to try to get something to run effectively so that people who buy from you will have confidence that you are able to make these things work together and the things that you sell do work.
October 23, 2010 12:13PM
Already gathered most of the windows stuff, have Art of Illusion, Blender,netfabb studio, Reprap software (which doesn't seen to run on my machine), makerbots program that does run, Arduino, Sarduino, the SLT files, the Cad drawings. However what I do not have and already specificed this on and in several different areas is the actual mendle itself, so Koko76 you gonna give me yours so I can make sure this all works. The other reasons are I am lazy, not good with linux, am not a programmer, and will be busy in a about a week or so with my new job. Those are just some of the reasons there are others but will not specify them except to say that sometimes and in somethings I can be a real dumb ---.

So does that answer your question Koko76

Regards,

Andrew van Ees
October 23, 2010 12:54PM
It answers my question, but perhaps not in the way you might expect. I am not "giving you" anything, and I don't know how you can make sure it works if you are too lazy to learn it in the first place.
All the information you say you are looking for it is freely available in a number of areas. The reason people will pay someone to supply them with turnkey/tested system is that they trust that person to have verified that all the pieces work correctly together. Your plan seems to be to outsource this work to those that do know it, but you can't evaluate their work because you won't take the time to learn the things yourself.
I do see the appeal in making some money by producing parts for these machines. But my first step to doing that involves doing all the beta testing myself, evaluating their manufacturability and cost, reiterating, retesting and then getting others to test it.
My advice to you is to get a working machine together of your own, then try selling it.
Best of luck in your new job.
October 23, 2010 01:53PM
As for the official Mendel models and such, it is "collected" at sourceforge: [sourceforge.net]

But another issue with putting all the software on a memory stick is it won't keep up with the rapid development. In that matter a collection of links is a much better solution.

One interesting way of using the memory stick though, would be to make it a usb linux bootable system with the essentials to run your RepRap.

Talking about "everything you need", the functions Erik is adding to RepliactorG is very interesting to limit a lot of software packages also for RepRap.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 23, 2010 02:15PM
Open Source software and hardware has a very short shelf life. If we where to do this for you today, by Jan 15 2011 I will almost guarantee you that it will be out of date.

RepG is going to have had at least 1-2 new version s in that time.

Erik is working a 5d RepG.

New Planitary Gear based extruders are on the horizon.

Prusa Mendel is gaining on the Sells Mendel.

The firmware is going in two directions, cheaply mass produced (gen6) and Easily self fabed (Arduino).

All this stuff is in the last month or so. If someone makes this for you and does not keep it updated, it will be worse than useless in less than a few months.

If you have $600 burning a whole in your pocket that you want to use to improve this hobby, build yourself a Mendel and get to developing.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
October 23, 2010 05:10PM
The problem that currently exists is that only the Diy people that don't get frustrated and give up will be the only ones repraping. I like the cupcake and will probably end up with their new machine cause I know how frustrated and pissed I can get. So the idea for an assembly line in every home lives or dies based on this, and as far as I can see its barely alive. And yes I know how fast the changes occur thats why I stated in the original that the link for the different software should be included in the notes. Koko76 its not all at sourceforge, Spacexula I saw in previous links where you actually went to a person home and help them with their build, very nice of you but unless you can do this for everyone there has to be a better way to get the software, and correct I probable have a better use for the 600. I also knew by suggesting this that I would more than likely be opening a very messy can of worms, but if you want reprap in every house the software has to get better, easier to use, and available through DVD or Flashdrive and the corporations know this and probably hope the reprap keeps having issues so they can develop something similiar, cheap and that will put everyone back in their pocket.
October 23, 2010 05:23PM
Sorry koko76 was actually suppose to put in Nudel, and yes koko76 I will probably do all this stuff including the testing myself somewhere down the line and thanks for the Good Luck wish in the job.
October 23, 2010 05:57PM
1 1/2 years ago most people, even the stong DIY types couldn't print a box reliably. We had 2 sources of plastics for the whole world, no kits, 1 set of electronics (gen3), and 2 repstrap companies, both very new.

Now we have 2 RepRap companies, 4 Repstrap companies (soon to be 4-5), 4 viable electronics sets, two popular turn key software packages (repG and Redsnapper), 7-8 parts suppliers, and we can print very reliably, the the cost for a printer has dropped almost in half in that time.

Kliment/Erik are working a Installer for RepG with 5d support, for all 3 maker OS. So there is a major part of your request took care of right there.

As far as the rest, I think just a really well designed Wiki page could cover it. A well designed wiki page taking someone down the path of deciding where to get the parts, and some nice videos on how to put it together and set up the software would be much easier than trying to make a set of fixed software that will be out of date 2 days after it's established.

As far as a RepRap in every house? Not going to happen any more than everyone will have a hand knitted scarf. The best we can hope for is that eventually we scar the OEM folk so bad that they try to compete with us. Grandma isn't going to get a 3d printer from the college kid down the street, she is going to go to Wallmart, just the same way the buys her computer (And over pay for it's low quality, because that's what the commercials tell her to do).

What we can do is make it so that for any person with a little bit of patience, and judgment can find a community of people easily who will guide them though the steps of getting their machine together, for a reasonable price, with a reasonable amount of difficulty, and with open source hardware and software designs all around.

What we are doing is still VERY cutting edge, making it work well is much more important than making it accessable right now. Currently if they had good software to get them started they would run head log into Skeinforge, skipping steppers, beds that don't level easy, warped prints, and boads that eat themselves. Let's worry about the fundementals before we start trying to bring the non DIY crowd in too much. That's why Maker bot has so many ticked off customers (even though they try hard).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 06:00PM by spacexula.

October 23, 2010 06:49PM
So was the commodore Amiga, where is it now. And had Steve Jobs not retaken Apple computer where would it be now. An going back 30 years the only electric cars on the road where from Diy People, there where 40 plus companies that supported them, there are 2 Diy company's from that time that survived Tesla Cars is the only real success story. The sad thing is that most of the technologies Toyota, Ford and the other car company's are calling cutting edge come from those Diyers, sad but true. So yes you have tons of support today but like you already stated things change fast, but the more they change the more they stay the same as well. I believe in the end this will work, but I also believe the memory stick would help get alot of people who are on the fence off.
October 23, 2010 06:52PM
and yes a few good videos, wiki page and the other thing will help alot as well.
October 23, 2010 07:12PM
andrew van ees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So was the commodore Amiga, where is it now. And
> had Steve Jobs not retaken Apple computer where
> would it be now. An going back 30 years the only
> electric cars on the road where from Diy People,
> there where 40 plus companies that supported them,
> there are 2 Diy company's from that time that
> survived Tesla Cars is the only real success
> story. The sad thing is that most of the
> technologies Toyota, Ford and the other car
> company's are calling cutting edge come from those
> Diyers, sad but true. So yes you have tons of
> support today but like you already stated things
> change fast, but the more they change the more
> they stay the same as well. I believe in the end
> this will work, but I also believe the memory
> stick would help get alot of people who are on the
> fence off.

I own a Makerbot, and honestly RepG is dead simple to install, much easier than it was when I 1st started, but in the end the tech issues Makerbot has are still as bad as ever.

As for your computer analogy, some of our printers don't have the processing power of an Amiga smiling smiley And the user Amiga had a screen and Keyboard.

It breaks my heart to see all the folks that have entered this hobby and left, and the ones that leave aren't leaving because of the software, they are leaving because of the hardware.

We need a cheaper RepRap than Mendel to put together
We need a more reliable extruder than Wades
We need better documentation
We need a better way to control heated beds
We need more replication.
And THEN I think it's time to bring Grandma and Aunt Sue into the hobby.

October 23, 2010 07:26PM
You forget one other important thing better marketing, heard about 3d prints 20 years ago, only found out about reprap through gizmodo or something like it that poped up through my igoogle mentioning a lego building machine. And I agree Repg is much easier did not mention it by name but did mention makerbot. I agree with all that you posted, I also posted another question a few days ago about building a better mendle in Thoughts and ? (brain fart) can't remember. No one has responded about it but just as many have read that one as this so hopefully something happens. Spacexula does Heath Electronics still exist.
October 23, 2010 08:16PM
Okay googled my own question and they went into teaching electronics instead of selling it, dam they had some nice stuff back in the day.
October 24, 2010 05:29AM
Andrew,

things won't happen just by asking somebody to do it, here. This is open source, everybody has his own goals and works on this own target. So, if you want something to happen, you have to start yourself. People will answer simple questions happily, but to get things done you have to volunteer yourself. Volunteer, and others will help and follow.

It isn't as difficult as it might look at the first glance. Everything is documented somewhere, you just have to find it.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 24, 2010 08:08PM
Andrew, if you're in GTA, swing by hacklab.to on a Tuesday night and Rob Gilson et. al. may be able to help you get set up.

In the meantime, have a go at our documentation, and if there are unclear/missing bits, feel free to ask questions and then fix stuff.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login