Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delayed feedback on the RepRap merchandise

Posted by reece.arnott 
Delayed feedback on the RepRap merchandise
November 22, 2007 04:56PM
I've been meaning to say something about this for a while now but something just jogged my memory at the right time...

A number of months ago I brought a quantity of stuff from the Rerap store: mug, t-shirt, cap and a number of mousepads. Between them they've been a great tool to get the word out.

Just last week I was wearing my Reprap t-shirt and a friend came up and asked me what it was about. I gave him the standard spiel and now he's interested enough that I'll be giving him one of my LiveCDs along with a free computer I'm getting for him in a couple of months time.

I've also finished some of these conversations by pointing at a mousepad I have handy and saying "It will look something like this".

By now, pretty much all the friends I see at least monthly know a little something about this cool reprap thingy I'm building. Some of this has come from conversations about what I did with my weekend but most are actually started by a remark about the reprap logo on something.

Very worthwhile investment I think.
Re: Delayed feedback on the RepRap merchandise
November 24, 2007 10:15AM
ah yes, i definitely need reprap merchandise ASAP.
November 24, 2007 10:30AM
I would honestly suggest that someone step up to the plate and print some for Zach to sell via the store.

Cafe Press is very popular because it is so easy, but their profit margins are way too high for my tastes. I hope the foundation is getting at least 40% back on these prices.
November 25, 2007 12:01PM
reece.arnott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> now he's
> interested enough that I'll be giving him one of
> my LiveCDs along with a free computer I'm getting
> for him in a couple of months time.

I wonder if pre-printed LiveCDs with the RepRap logo on them would be of interest to anyone.
VDX
November 25, 2007 12:25PM
Hi Steve,

... i want to have one - as i didn't manage it until now, to bring the system to live on my Notebook with WindowsXP or my DualCore-Desktop with preinstalled Vista, i want to try with a Live-CD with Debian on an old 486-PC ...

Viktor
November 25, 2007 01:27PM
Maybe it can be distributed as a torrent file along with cd label. Then we can all make it available..

Bruce
November 25, 2007 02:59PM
Yeah, the torrent file idea is a good way of distributing things. I like it.

Demented
November 26, 2007 01:23PM
Of course, the philosophy behind RepRap would point towards posting instructions on how to make your own shirts, mugs and mousepads. But that wouldn't raise any money. :-)

Off the top of my head...
shirts -> inkjet iron-ons
mugs -> inkjet decals
mousepads -> inkjet fabric + foam rubber sheeting + spray adhesive
November 26, 2007 01:59PM
But my HDPE t-shirt is awfully uncomfortable.

Bruce W.

do i have to wear it??
November 26, 2007 02:21PM
Could be worse. My CAPA shirt melted in the dryer.
November 27, 2007 04:14AM
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Its a good thing the office happened to be empty at that moment.

Anyway, I'm in the process of uploading the 0.4 version of the LiveCD to sourceforge... 9 and a half hours to go now... and if anyone wanted to design a cd label for it I'll put that up as well.

Feel free to torrent the cd if you like. Personally I'd wait for a couple of weeks and see if theres enough small changes requested to make it worthwhile making a 0.5 release. Of course, thats a bit of a weird situation: the more people who want the to test out the initial version, the more likely it is that there will be a new release shortly, but also the more viable a torrent version is.

Oh well, you decide. If someone thinks its a good idea, do it.
December 03, 2007 02:56PM
In case you missed the other thread about the LiveCD, I've put the torrent up on sourceforge and The Pirate Bay (where I miscategorised it as Games-Other instead of Applications-Other).

So far 4 people have connected and downloaded it from me. How many of them thought a game called Reprap sounded cool I don't know :-)
December 03, 2007 03:25PM
I got it from ya.. I was one of the 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login