Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermal IR Images

Posted by MrBaz 
Thermal IR Images
April 01, 2016 10:08PM
Decided to take a look at my 3D printers with a thermal imager. Please, IGNORE THE THERMAL TEMPERATURE LEGEND. This camera hasn't been calibrated properly. I'll get on that eventually.

Thing-o-Matic heated bed. Note: You can see the heat signature from the stepper motor that is being hidden by the wooden X-axis structure (off to the left).

ToM Hotend.

E3D V6 extruding:

My Delta's Heated Bed. Aluminum heat spreader underneath. That white line is a piece of recently extruded PLA that just fell onto the bed.

Sideview showing how well the MDF bed support is insulating the buildplate:

Stepper showing how well a thermal epoxied heatsink is able to draw off heat from the motor (I'll be putting a fan on these eventually). Also note how the heat is traveling up the shaft and into the aluminum pulley, which in turn is heating up part of the belt. Nothing significant, just interesting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 10:10PM by MrBaz.
Re: Thermal IR Images
April 01, 2016 10:14PM
Here are some more pictures of the RUMBA I have running my Delta printer.

This is JUST the bed running up to temp - where the PID is nearly full on (I limit it to a PWM value of 240). Note how the MOSFET is the hottest part. The thermal fuse gets warm, obviously. The wires are undersized, yes, but they are high-temp silicone wire. I will be replacing them eventually.

An overlay of a thermal and real image:

Here is a full operation where the bed is warming and the 3 axis are holding the steppers (energized coils).

Now here is what it looks like after the bed has warmed up to temp and is stabilized. You can see where another stepper is running (extruder).

Any requests for thermal images? I'll see what I can do.
April 02, 2016 08:26AM
Fantastic. I'd love to have that capability. What camera were you using?
April 02, 2016 09:19AM
JamesK
Fantastic. I'd love to have that capability. What camera were you using?

Testo 876 - old and partially defunct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login