May have higher resolution?

confused smiley
Re: Z Axis Belt drive
April 08, 2016 06:58PM
One example of Z-belt printer:
[forums.reprap.org]
April 08, 2016 07:24PM
Much lower resolution (compared with a standard m5)

Also when power is removed the carriage will fall

Any belt stretch (which is inevitable) will break this... something need to be adjustable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 07:28PM by Dust.
April 08, 2016 08:53PM
Dust
Much lower resolution (compared with a standard m5)

WHY? --- 20 tooth pulley --- 37mm circumference ---- 0.01mm/step(1/16 stepping un-geared)

Also when power is removed the carriage will fall

I'll use geared stepper or stepper with brake

Any belt stretch (which is inevitable) will break this... something need to be adjustable

With one continuous belt -- stretch so what?
Will stretch in one print run be that much?

confused smiley
April 08, 2016 09:19PM
a m5 based z axis with 1/16th drivers and 1.8 degree steppers is 4000 steps per mm ie 1 step is 1/4000 ie 0.00025 mm/step

re belt stretch, im meaning over time.. not just one print... you need something to be adjustable to re tighten it
April 08, 2016 10:16PM
I agree with points on the resolution or screw vs direct belt drive, but adjustability of belt tension is easy. There are 4 pulleys and the motor itself that could be made adjustable to set belt tension if you follow the OP's diagram.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 09, 2016 02:52AM
Check out the CoreXY CoreXZ design, it uses belts to drive and support the Z axis.

Z resolution on deltas is typically 0.0125um or 0.01um per microstep, which turns out to be sufficient. You can double it by using 0.9deg/step motors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 04:26AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 09, 2016 04:08AM
Also check out corexz [hackaday.com]
Anonymous User
April 09, 2016 04:13AM
Dust
a m5 based z axis with 1/16th drivers and 1.8 degree steppers is 4000 steps per mm ie 1 step is 1/4000 ie 0.00025 mm/step

re belt stretch, im meaning over time.. not just one print... you need something to be adjustable to re tighten it

Just that this kind of resolution is totally unnecessary, that M5 (or any M ) are to assemble things NOT move them accurately, that most of the time they are bent, have a rough surface, need a backlash nut that will wear out fast (I see people using steel nuts), that you you need high RPM which is not exactly the realm of stepper ....

Leadscrew, yes, but the real ones starting from TR8 and up.

GT2 belts (NOT MXL) are designed for minimal backlash and stretch. To adjust the tension is not an issue, just use mfg specs. A simple scale like this Scale attached to the tensioner eg, is a great help. Comes handy to measure torque with a pulley and string too.

BTW, idler pulleys MUST be toothed when inside the belt ! An smooth pulley will crush the rubber tooth and leads to unreliable tension and wear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 04:15AM by MKSA.
April 09, 2016 04:22AM
I'm using a belt driven z axis on a corexy (I remixed a very popular design so that it works on smartrapcore alu) [www.thingiverse.com]

It works much better than I could have ever hoped for.

I'm using steel reinforced belts, they will stretch but not any time soon they are a huge improvement over the soft black rubber type most of us use.

The bed drops on power off but gently with this design compared with cantilevered belt driven z axis.

I'm using 0.9deg stepper and can very accurately get 0.1mm layers with no z type artefacts, the sides of my prints are very smooth. I could swap to 16 tooth pulley also but it works so why bother?

I'd say it works so well I seriously doubt the need for screws on 3d printers at all. As has been said deltas don't need them and no one associates deltas with poor print quality (those steel reinforced belts really help on the delta too).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 04:23AM by DjDemonD.
April 09, 2016 04:53AM
And I'd totally second having toothed idler pulleys for the toothed side of the belt.
April 09, 2016 10:25AM
MKSA

BTW, idler pulleys MUST be toothed when inside the belt ! An smooth pulley will crush the rubber tooth and leads to unreliable tension and wear.

That's not what the applications manual at SDP-SI says. They call out a minimum diameter for non toothed internal idlers, I want to say a 40t equivalent diameter.
April 09, 2016 01:27PM
I don't see the advantage of core XZ

mixing high speed, long distance axis
with
low speed micro move axis

confused smiley

dc42
Check out the CoreXY CoreXZ design, it uses belts to drive and support the Z axis.

Z resolution on deltas is typically 0.0125um or 0.01um per microstep, which turns out to be sufficient. You can double it by using 0.9deg/step motors.
April 09, 2016 01:38PM
Looking at some images of them, the belts/lines are very complicated. There must be some advantage to this design as it seems like adding 8 more pulleys and coupling two very different performing axes is a lot counter intuitive.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
April 09, 2016 05:07PM
I haven't built a CoreXY, I was just pointing it out as an example of using a belt driven Z axis. I see that it uses extra pulleys to achieve a 3:1 reduction in Z movement.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 09, 2016 05:57PM
Well I think a corexz is definitely a belt driven z axis but a core xy can be any type of z axis. I think my point was that I was very dismissive of a belt driven z axis before I got one, originally cantilevered which worked perfectly well too, then I upgraded it to this double sided type. I think a lot of us are conditioned to expect a screw mechanism, despite being quite happy with belts for x and y (or all three in a delta).

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Anonymous User
April 10, 2016 03:27AM
Koko76
MKSA

That's not what the applications manual at SDP-SI says. They call out a minimum diameter for non toothed internal idlers, I want to say a 40t equivalent diameter.

So reread them ! It is obvious that if the idler is BIG, it can be smooth because the pressure per teeth will be small !
Small idler must be toothed !
All this is just a matter of logic !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 03:57AM by MKSA.
April 10, 2016 05:17AM
At the end of this thread you can read my experience of belt driven z-axis: [forums.reprap.org]

I could also add that I have experienced a few milimeters of belt stretch after a few kilograms of plastic printed. I hope it is just an initial stretch and belt will stay at where it is at now.

Another conclusion I have made in my head is that both screw and belt driven z-axis can deliver great results or be a disaster. It is all a matter of approach and design solutions that are done. Properly mounted screw will work great as will a belt driven driven z-axis with proper pulleys and stiff parts.
April 10, 2016 06:04AM
Having said of this I'm concluding that in a direct comparison of delta, corexy and regular cartesian printers the delta comes out on top for various reasons, as long as you can build and calibrate it correctly.

David are think3dprint3d doing those beta large kossel kits? I think that's what I'd move towards next?

Simon Khoury

April 10, 2016 07:06AM
T3P3 have kept the frame size I think but have changed to a smaller bed with a 24V heater. I think the product liability issues associated with a mains powered bed heater were too great. But it shouldn't be difficult to upgrade that design to a larger bed with a mains powered heater.

I too favour the delta design for small and medium sized printers.

April 10, 2016 01:38PM
I like the look of the robot digg metal corners. Do you think it would be possible to fit these to the t3p3 kossel xl? I'd install a mains bed at a later stage. Finally be a chance to try all this 32bit stuff I keep hearing about smiling smiley

Simon Khoury

April 10, 2016 05:37PM
I suggest you talk to T3P3 about using metal corners on their xl kit. At least one of the beta users opted for metal corners, but I don't know whether he got them from T3P3 or separately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 05:38PM by dc42.

Anonymous User
April 13, 2016 04:40AM
DjDemonD
Having said of this I'm concluding that in a direct comparison of delta, corexy and regular cartesian printers the delta comes out on top for various reasons, as long as you can build and calibrate it correctly.

David are think3dprint3d doing those beta large kossel kits? I think that's what I'd move towards next?

I totally agree but I bought a Geetech Prusa I3 Al because I felt that it would be a good iand cheap introduction to 3D printer, that it would be usable, I could easily improve it with part I could print.

I felt that starting with a Delta kit with poor parts, firmware, it would be a lot of frustration. Reading this forum, looking at vendor sites, I see so much junk, it is appalling.
April 13, 2016 04:44AM
I've got a mini kossel from t3p3 and its good. So moving up to a larger kossel would be a straightforward prospect. I think most reviews of the cheaper kossel kits available are fairly frightening.

Simon Khoury

Anonymous User
April 13, 2016 04:46AM
Edvardas
At the end of this thread you can read my experience of belt driven z-axis: [forums.reprap.org]

I could also add that I have experienced a few milimeters of belt stretch after a few kilograms of plastic printed. I hope it is just an initial stretch and belt will stay at where it is at now.

Another conclusion I have made in my head is that both screw and belt driven z-axis can deliver great results or be a disaster. It is all a matter of approach and design solutions that are done. Properly mounted screw will work great as will a belt driven driven z-axis with proper pulleys and stiff parts.

So, if this stretch exceeds the mfg specifications or is in the norm but exceeds your requirements, it is not a good design and/or not properly done.

Besides, GT2 normally used has negligible stretch.

BTW, a fully belt driven Z axis like in the initilal post is not a good idea.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2016 10:20AM by MKSA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login