Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD card reader working with Reprap Software?

Posted by hazuki 
SD card reader working with Reprap Software?
November 08, 2010 10:21AM
Does anyone know how to use the SD card reader on the reprap motherboard with the reprap software?

Thanks!
Re: SD card reader working with Reprap Software?
November 08, 2010 02:52PM
I wrote some assembly code that tests the reader. An early version of this is on github. It has been a wile since I have had time to work on this. As I recall I registered under the name sheep on that site too.
November 08, 2010 03:42PM
Can I expect the Reprap software to read the GCODE from the SD card slot on the Gen3 motherboard? Replicatorg has this functionality. I don't see it in the Reprap software.
November 08, 2010 05:20PM
No the reprap firmware does not use the SD card.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 08, 2010 08:35PM
how does it get past the slowness of the serial connection in small details with quick sudden changes in direction?
November 09, 2010 12:03AM
Yes I am wondering this too.
November 09, 2010 02:51AM
Because the serial connection is still faster than the RepRap (in most cases).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
November 09, 2010 10:01AM
It also has a buffer, no?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 09, 2010 10:33AM
The PC is just sending GCODE messages to the Firmware, these are actually quite simple and not a high data rate at all.

The Firmware is doing all the hard work and controlling the 'sudden changes in direction' etc. from 'simple' commands.

That is also why when you hit stop on the Reprap host program it still keeps on going until the end of the last GCODE sequence.

It should not be difficult to read a GCODE file from the SD card, and should be more than fast enough to direct messages to the Firmware in the same way RRHost does via a serial cable. - Someone just needs to do it...

Until recently Host and firmware was running at 19k2 Baud, it's now at 56k. Serial or USB will not be a bottleneck in Reprap for many years yet.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 09, 2010 11:12AM
So I can assume that RepG communicates in a much different way, that is less efficient and slower? Making printing from SD card almost mandatory for any print with small details AKA timing pulleys?
November 09, 2010 11:21AM
Unlikely, it uses the same COM interface.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
November 09, 2010 11:49AM
I should have said -

Serial should not be a bottleneck in Reprap style machines sending Gcode commands for many years yet.

If you have a machine or Firmware that needs/sends Raw XYZE data (direct-drive of motors etc.) then you may need a higher speed comms interface in the future.

Sending Gcode commands lets the Firmware (Machine) to do the work, where as many PC based CNC machines just drive the motor's directly from a Parallel port.

I expect if a SD card is used to store and pass Gcode then it should be quite straightforward to do in the firmware.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 09, 2010 10:08PM
I am using a old version of firmware... When did they up the baud rate? I thinks its time to change firmware!
Is there any work being done on the firmware to support printing from an SD Card?
Now I haven't even ordered my Mendel yet (waiting on mendel-parts.com to catch up), but I would love the option of being able to turn my computer off from time to time.
Seems like overkill to have a computer running when the Mendel could read the GCode from an SD Card instead...
January 30, 2011 01:11AM
bump
January 31, 2011 10:19AM
I like the idea of the SD card. It can/could be tweaked to run stand alone.

If the PC is just to feed gcode lines one by one, and offer the UI a few buttons, start, stop, continue, and a LCD to select which file to run, could replace the PC, no? Even if a separate uController.
January 31, 2011 10:37AM
anode505
I like the idea of the SD card. It can/could be tweaked to run stand alone.

In fact, it has already been done!

I have already received my LCD/Keypad from Modtronix so now I am going to add it to my Mendel.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
February 03, 2011 03:39PM
Our university just got hold of the Rapman 3000 or something from Bits from Bytes, that is complete headless in operation, reading from SD.
March 15, 2012 01:09AM
Any new adaptations/alterations for the sd card reader/lcd screen add on.
I will have a reprap mendel soon and would like this feature on mine.
Any advice?
I am coming from a Makerbot owner (and love it). I am building a reprap rostock model and was wondering the same thing. Even if serial can keep up, I never print with my computer but instead always use the SD card. That way I can load up all my gcode files and use the keypad / lcd interface to preheat, change the filament and various things and not tie up my computer at all. Just for that reason alone it is worth it. I sure hope there will be some interface in the near future. If you ever want and firmware changes Jetty has done a great job porting the acceleration firmware from the merlin code over to the makerbot.
July 25, 2012 11:49AM
Afaik, both Sprinter and Marlin supports SD cards, and you can upload the file to the SD card via pronterface. Marlin also supports LCD and interface keypads.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login