Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 power supplies or single w/ regulator?

Posted by Slackdaddy 
2 power supplies or single w/ regulator?
April 26, 2016 05:00PM
P3Steel with Ramps1.4, MK3 bed, 1 extruder.
Having trouble finding room to mount 2 power supplies on a P3 frame,, and want to run my MK3 bed on 24v.
Do they make a duel power supply 12v and 24v with enough to run a 3d printer?
could I get a 24v 30amp and use a LARGE 12 regulator to run Ramps ?

How are other handling this with 24v beds ?

Nick
Re: 2 power supplies or single w/ regulator?
April 26, 2016 05:44PM
Using two supplies or updating entire system to be 24v

(ie 24v capable fans, hotends, ramps and mega, and headed bed)
April 27, 2016 07:31AM
Mounting two psu's is more of a challenge but consider downgrading the 12v one to a laptop style psu and its a lot smaller. You only need about 8-10 amps for motors, extruder heater and sensors/electronics. Probably could manage on less but you want a little headroom. I run one on the smartrapcore and have a second Chinese brick style led 24v psu 200w for the heatbed using a fused automotive mechanical relay to switch it. It's smaller than the standard 12v brick that most of us use so might help with your packaging issue. Performs admirably. In fact if I remember I'll measure the current draw on the 12v psu with everything on and in motion.

Having an external psu isn't too much hassle if you have decent quick release connectors, I take it you're thinking about transporting it around?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 07:33AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
April 27, 2016 10:37AM
I use two seperate PSUs on my OrdBot and will not do it again. It is just to much hassle.
With the new printer i went for 24V all over and added a 12V StepDown regulator for some fans and LEDs. I could go without, but with it i am not dependent on the electronics delivering 12V.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login