Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with 1st print

Posted by Slackdaddy 
Problems with 1st print
April 30, 2016 11:17PM
finally at the point of 1st print with P3Steel.
1.75 PLA printing the "Tree Frog"
Some where between the 10-12 layer, the front left leg comes loose from the bed everytime (5 times)
I am using a MK3 Alum bed. I have tried glue stick, hair spray, blue tape, blue tape with glue stick.
Tried bed at 40c, 50c, 60c.

any idea's ?

Thanks,
Nick
Re: Problems with 1st print
May 01, 2016 12:43AM
Try bed at 70, hotend at 195 and slow the speed. Are you using a fan to cool down the PLA after extruded?
What's your nozzle size and layer height?
May 01, 2016 02:08AM
gg
Try bed at 70,
that's way to high for PLA, 55-60 C for PLA works well and want leave an elephant foot on the print .it should have stuck with the glue stick. is there another cooling fan somewhere which is blowing on that side of the bed, is the first layer going down even, with a good adhesion to the bed
the thermistor setting correct in F/ware, what brand of PLA you using. " used to be some awful stuff around".

I'll be tempted to re-slice the frog, do a 4 loop skirt and attach it to the print. " that keep the foot down"
hows your print cooling the front feet/leg can curl if you dont raise the nozzle while travelling, it can collide

" am wondering if retraction is a little slow, HE is catching the previous layer??" picture be nice.
are you printing directly on the aluminium side or are you printing with glass, are you giving the glass sufficient time to warm "although after the second attempt you think the glass would be fine.

"JUST for sanity check heat bed wiring to the controller " just checking the connector not getting overly hot to the touch".

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 08:08AM by jinx.
May 01, 2016 08:24AM
I am using Sunlu 1.75 PLA.
I have leveled the bed with a feeler gauge (.008" gap)
When it gets to the 10-12 layer and starts "building" the leg on the left foot, it knocks it loose, every time, same foot.
The "build" fan comes on around the 2-3rd layer.
When I go to remove the rest of the frog, it is stuck quite well to the bed.
Nozzle is at 195c.

Nick
May 01, 2016 08:42AM
frog legs
so what about the part curling, strikes any time hot smiley

the cooling coming on early, can work against you here with it being a small part.
May 01, 2016 08:43AM
Printing directly on the MK3 Alum bed (no glass),
May 01, 2016 09:09AM
When you say first print, did you start with some simpler things like cubes and cylinders to get everything calibrated? How did they come out?
May 01, 2016 09:53AM
OK,
I am up to 8m on the print, so far so good. (to the point where the front legs hook to the body)
I broke the #1 rule and changed a bunch of things at once.

brought nozzle to 215c
remounted and leveled the MK3 bed (this should not have affected the 10, 11, 12 layer that was lifting before)
set the build fan to 50% (was 100%)
Dropped the build speed to 20.

Nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login