Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ready for a second build, what to do...

Posted by GroupB 
Ready for a second build, what to do...
May 05, 2016 02:49PM
I spread my disease... after seeing my printer in action my brother suddenly want one, its surprise me because during my design/build I tried to share my enthusiasm about this and he just wont care.

Anyway im wondering what kind of design to do this time. I wont make it larger than mine for sure..

Im looking at maybe 220X220X220, single extruder again all metals and whatever the build I chose I will make 3 of them at the same time, one for my brother, a second printer for me ( why not) and one to sell mostly to cover the cost of building a second one for me.

I check into core xy design and its look compact enough but look so complicated with lot of parts and I dont like the moving bed very much,some model even have 2 motor to lift the Z it look like a futur motor synchronization nightmare to me.

So im wondering if I should replicate my delta design at smaller scale with little less overbuild frame or try to learn and come up with a core xy design, After fixing some small problem ( mostly software) my delta is now rock solid and it print good enough quality, I understand them its clear in my mind how they work and its not the case with the core XY and my design for delta is already done in CAD and easy to scale down.

Is there any advantage about core xy vs a well calibrated delta when we talk about 220X220X220 build volume ? enough to go back to drawing board and learn about them?
Re: Ready for a second build, what to do...
May 05, 2016 03:12PM
The only advantage I can see is size of printer and option to increase number of extruders/hotends.

I'm currently working on a 400*400*400 standard Cartesian printer (don't want to mess with coreXY yet) and size wise is 786*710*649 mm, what will be the dimensions of a delta for that build volume?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 03:13PM by ggherbaz.
May 05, 2016 03:18PM
For a 400X400X400 delta ? I have no idea it depend of the design a lot.

as for my next printer external dimension is not something I care much about its not gonna be huge at 220X220
May 05, 2016 04:12PM
ggherbaz
I'm currently working on a 400*400*400 standard Cartesian printer (don't want to mess with coreXY yet) and size wise is 786*710*649 mm, what will be the dimensions of a delta for that build volume?

It depends on what print area you actually want, because delta printers generally have circular print beds. If you really want to be able to print a 400mm cube, you would need a print bed 565mm diameter. The printer frame would then be a triangle with sides about 650mm long, and the printer height for 400mm print height right up to the edges would be about 1.1m. OTOH you might decide that 450mm or 500mm printable diameter is sufficient. and then the printer would be somewhat smaller.

If your Cartesian printer has a moving bed, then its desk footprint will be somewhat larger than the 786*710 mm that you quoted.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 05, 2016 09:14PM
dc42,

thanks for the info. Actually after I posted the previous comment I started to take a look at delta size and comparing simplicity of the frame.

my printer's bed only moves in the Z axis not the Y that's why it have an smaller foot print.

attached is the printer I'm working on now and a size comparison with a delta for the same printable volume. I can put 2 of the Cartesian printers in the space that one delta printer will take.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 09:17PM by ggherbaz.
Attachments:
open | download - sg3a3.jpg (122.3 KB)
open | download - Delta Printer 400.jpg (282.8 KB)
May 05, 2016 09:48PM
Nice looking frame - what's that made out of?
May 05, 2016 10:29PM
1/4 inch plate. it's going to be heavy as hell but I want to experiment with high speed and for that I need a frame that wont shake. A friend of mine have a laser cutter and some scrap metal so in exchange of few beers and dinner and patience to wait for the right size scraps I will get the frame for "free"
May 06, 2016 06:33AM
So if I understand except that you can use dual extruder ( wont use) or direct extruder ( doing fine with bowden) there no real advantage of a core xy design over a delta ?
May 06, 2016 10:32AM
I'm not even done with my first build and am already looking forward to v2.

Thinking between Delta, CoreXY or SLA using dual ips screens....

But first some coffee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login