Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would like to convert Prusa to a boxed machine

Posted by GITRDUN 
Would like to convert Prusa to a boxed machine
May 10, 2016 04:21PM
I have a couple Prusa I3 machines i built and i am thinking about gutting the electronics and motors to use in a different type of machine. I cant seem to find any open source designs that are what im looking for. I would like to make something similar to the Folgertech clone machine. [folgertech.com] . I could design and build everything from scratch but it would save a lot of time and frustration to go with something allready out there. Ive had it with the Prusa designs. I started with a standard Prusa kit long time ago, and after a few upgrades i have been using the Prusa I3's for a year or two. The machines which have a fixed build plate that only moves up and down on Z seem to me would just be a better design.

Anyone know of an open source design thats available? Or maybe even just where i should be looking besides the thingverse site?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 04:25PM by GITRDUN.
Re: Would like to convert Prusa to a boxed machine
May 11, 2016 12:51AM
Read this for a start.
[www.instructables.com]
May 13, 2016 05:58AM
I'd consider a corexy something like this [smartfriendz.com]

Its rigid, with a little upgrading on the extruder it prints very well, the bed moves up and down but can be easily converted to a dual sided z axis. They are fast.

Compared to any i3 derivative the design is sound. I have an i3 which I never use now, its just too wobbly, the rods are too poorly supported, the y axis moves and bends all over the place.

Check out the smartrap forum here theres 3-4 of us who are very active and have posted a lot of information.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
May 13, 2016 12:49PM
I have been reading the coreXY forum here and found the smartcore info. I like the design. Looks like a major upgrade in rigidity and not to complex or expensive. Heres the one i have been contemplating [www.youmagine.com] . I am working over one of my Prusa I3 machines to try and get it up to par but id still like to convert my other to something that is maybe the next step up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login