Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cleaning out PETG from Nozzles.

Posted by Lymphomaniac1 
Cleaning out PETG from Nozzles.
May 24, 2016 12:07AM
Has anybody figured out how to clean PETG from Nozzles. In the past I got nozzles for my MK8 for $0.34 and I just threw them away when they got clogged. I am now thinking about getting a diamond, three in one out, nozzle. At $20 a nozzle throwing them away can become expensive fast. ABS and PLA dissolve in MEK and acetone, but PETG, which is my filament of choice, is impervious to solvents. Any suggestions before my $20 nozzle gets clogged?

Thanks,

Stuart
Re: Cleaning out PETG from Nozzles.
May 24, 2016 12:20AM
You can do the atomic pull with nylon filament or even your own PETG. Also a thin wire (e.g., guitar wire or a strand from the BBQ brush) can be used for cleaning. Lastly, if you're using an all-metal head make sure you're not retracting too much into the cold zone (stay under 2mm if possible).
May 24, 2016 01:50AM
Heat the nozzle with a propane torch until red hot. Make sure it is clean with nozzle cleaning wire.
May 24, 2016 04:32AM
I find that too much heat can make things worse sometimes. The filament becomes carbonized and it is impossible to remove then. I use a Dremel tool to remove most of the plastic parts and with some luck, the remaining parts melt when I reheat the nozzle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 02:15PM by drmaestro.
May 24, 2016 09:13AM
For my 0.4mm nozzles, I got some 0.4mm drill bits from Amazon. I also have a hot air rework station, but you could use a heat shrink gun. Don't think a hair dryer will get hot enough. I heat the nozzle with the hot air until it is warm enough to soften the filament. I then push in filament and let it cool a bit, then pull it out. Hopefully it pulls the clog with it. I use the drill bits to clean out the tip of the nozzle to finish up the cleaning.
May 24, 2016 09:26AM
The carbon is burned off. C + O2 = co2.
May 25, 2016 06:03AM
DCM dissolves PETG quite well.
May 27, 2016 01:00PM
Be careful with DCM, though. Or with any toxic, flammable carcinogen.
June 08, 2016 09:47AM
Thanks everybody for your input. Dichloro Methane is not something I would want in my house nor is it easy to get. As drmeistro has stated heating the nozzles with a propane torch sometimes closes off the orifice in the nozzle. I think I came up with the perfect method. I bought a stainless steel container, in this case an $1 ashtray off of eBay, and put my nozzles in it. I then put everything on the bottom of my self-cleaning over and let it clean for 4 hours. When I pulled out my nozzles from the oven, not only were my nozzles cleaned, but so was my oven. Since this is more controlled than the blow torch method, I did not see any damage to the orifices of my nozzles. The only negative is that the stainless steel ashtray discolored under the heat, so if you try this at home, use a stainless steel container that you will dedicate for nozzle cleaning rather than your wife's nice stainless steel serving tray.

Stuart
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login