Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I manufacture a 1mm nozzle using 3 D printing?

Posted by matrix1781 
Can I manufacture a 1mm nozzle using 3 D printing?
June 20, 2016 03:44PM
Hi

I am a newbie here and dont know much about 3D printing. I was wondering if a nozzle with 1mm diameter and 0.8mm length can be manufactured using 3D printing. Conventional nozzles are made out of tungsten carbide and it is difficult to manufacture such short lengths in that manner. Can 3D printing achieve this?
Re: Can I manufacture a 1mm nozzle using 3 D printing?
June 20, 2016 04:11PM
Which nozzles are tungsten carbide? I was aware of a project to make a tungsten carbide 3d printer nozzle but I am not sure it will get off the ground [dddmaterial.com].

Almost all nozzles are brass, good balance between thermal conductivity and machinability. Stainless steel is available to cope with carbon reinforced filaments which chew through brass nozzles.

If you want a 1mm nozzle take a 0.4mm nozzle and a 1mm drill bit and get stuck in.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
June 20, 2016 04:23PM
matrix1781
Hi

I am a newbie here and dont know much about 3D printing. I was wondering if a nozzle with 1mm diameter and 0.8mm length can be manufactured using 3D printing. Conventional nozzles are made out of tungsten carbide and it is difficult to manufacture such short lengths in that manner. Can 3D printing achieve this?
If you are actually trying to make something from tungsten carbide, the two processes that will work well are grinding and Edm (wire and or sinker). If all you want to do is make a hole in an existing piece of tungsten carbide sinker or hole popper type Edm will do the job.
VDX
June 20, 2016 06:28PM
... of course, you can 3D-print such parts from carbide powder with SLS (Selective-Laser-Sintering) or DLM (Direct-Laser-Melting) - this are common industrial process, so calculate with "industrial prices" too winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 28, 2016 05:01PM
Actually, carbide is very hard to be 3D printed since it is a ceramic. Most tungsten carbide tools are actually tungsten carbide "powder" bonded by cobalt (WC-Co).

DYZE DESIGN
Hotends, Extruders, Liquid Cooling and Accessories.
June 29, 2016 08:31AM
Dyze_Design
Actually, carbide is very hard to be 3D printed since it is a ceramic. Most tungsten carbide tools are actually tungsten carbide "powder" bonded by cobalt (WC-Co).
Might want to research that one a bit more. It can be done, but if part geometry is conducive to traditional methods cost will be cheaper.
June 29, 2016 01:45PM
Why not just spend $1.43 USD

Brass 1mm Nozzle Print Head for 1.75mm Filament 3D Printer Extruder HotEnd

[www.ebay.com]

instead of spending $100,000 to try to make one

confused smiley
June 30, 2016 08:51AM
Well if you want to print medium sized parts with lower detail then a 1mm nozzle works well. E3D volcano also a good idea to ensure you can melt the plastic fast enough. But you don't need to buy one or make one just drill a smaller nozzle to 1.0mm and away you go. If the OP had given some indication of what they wanted a tungsten 1mm nozzle for we might be able to help a bit more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 10:38AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
June 30, 2016 11:21AM
A quick google of "Tungsten carbide nozzle" seems to imply a sandblasting nozzle, though 1mm seems pretty narrow and 0.8mm pretty short... maybe that's the point, they need to make a sand blasting nozzle that's not usually available.

But that's mostly conjecture of course winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login