Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

School Student

Posted by MathewDale 
School Student
December 06, 2010 01:14PM
Hello Everyone

If I could just take a small amount of your time to read this post, it is not spam and i am not selling anything. I am a student that attends stretford grammar school, I have been going for the last 7 years and am currently going in the upper sixth form. I am going onto university to study aerounautical engineering and I have a very keen eye for designing and building things. I currently am taking a-level product design. We have a technology department at our school and it isnt very modern. We can not do this due to funds so this means we have limited equipment and so not being able to develop some key skills. We have been looking at 3-D design work and looking at the process of designing. We came across the REPRAP Darwin . We went crazy over it and put a lot of research in, we came to a conclusion that it would cost around €500 (£423.71) which is what the technology department dont have, currently we have over spent nearly £1000 for materials.

So we got a group of students together from the all the years in the school who are interested in Desing and Technology and we had a long chat about it, including teachers and headteacher. As we do not have sufficient funds and also we learnt that the Darwin and the 2nd generation of the printer can replicate itself, we decided that one of us would try and find a person that would kindly create the parts on there machine and donate them to the school.

So we ask that if anyone will donate any parts to the school of Stretford Grammar. If parts are donated we would like the donator to come to our school one day to show them the difference it will make, if you wouldnt want to then a letter of appreciation will be mailed to you.

Mathew Anthony Dale

(Stretford Grammar School)
Re: School Student
December 06, 2010 01:31PM
Or can anyone please offer some advice.
December 06, 2010 02:01PM
Some examples of the work that is currently happening in the school that will benefit from with the REPRAP:
- model chinese board game (he will benefit from this as hios figures are 3 dimensional and can be made on a REPRAP) (y13)
- an electric thermostat that shows the current temperature of the room (the casing of this can be made on a REPRAP) (Y9)
- an electronic spirit level (the casing and the electronic components can benefit from the REPRAP) (y12)
- electronic bike alarm (the housing and the light assembly can benefit from this) (y10)
- fuse test (the casing of this) (y7)

This is about 4% of the projects going on in the school. We feel that the whole school will benefit from this and also the Art departmant.
December 06, 2010 03:20PM
If I was to donate a set of plastic parts, how will you find the remaining ~£300 to buy everything else?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 06, 2010 05:08PM
We hope to run a couple of fund raisers that will help us towards that, plus we hope to get donations from other people and parties towards a project like this. £300 is little easier than £500 would you not agree
December 06, 2010 06:04PM
Yes. If you manage to get the rest of the parts I will give you the printed parts. I live only about 10 miles away and I used to live in Chorlton.

December 06, 2010 06:21PM
I live in Chorlton at the moment.
Well would it not be better and show more progress within the project if we were to receive the printed parts now. If we go to other donors and they wanted to see our progress and we said weve been told we can get the parts just we have to get everything else first, by all means I am not saying I dont trust you or anything, just that it looks good on paper as we move forward in the project.
December 06, 2010 06:38PM
Also sorry to be a pain in the backside but which series/generation do you have?
December 06, 2010 07:06PM
Yes but I have given parts away before and nothing has come of them so you need to get the electronics and the motors before I let you have the parts.

I have a Mendel and I have printed and sold 87 sets of parts so far: [cgi.ebay.co.uk]. This is a very public forum so I would not fail to deliver and ruin my reputation.

December 06, 2010 07:16PM
Totally respect that.
Thank you
December 06, 2010 07:23PM
BTW Darwin is pretty much obsolete so it is a set of Mendel parts that you want, and that I undertake to supply.

December 06, 2010 10:37PM
MathewDale: Just a note that nophead is quite a respected member of the reprap community, and I (and others) would definitely trust him on his word. I would hazard a guess that he also knows some good places to buy the 'vitamins' locally that you will need for the project. It may also be worth while to put faces to names and meet up. I also wonder if there is a Hackerspace near you, as they'd probably be able to help out.
December 07, 2010 12:04AM
NopHead, Matthew,

Want to help kick off the RepRap Loaner Program? smiling bouncing smiley
http://reprap.org/wiki/Loaner_Program

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
December 07, 2010 01:00AM
Yes but I have given parts away before and nothing has come of them so you need to get the electronics and the motors before I let you have the parts.

NopHead, in the case of those folk, you may want to ping them and gently point them at the loaner program? Couldn't hurt.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
December 07, 2010 02:31AM
Sorry I didnt mean it in any rude way at all.
Thanks for your advice SebastienBailard.
If we were able to be part of that loaner program then it would be amazing.
emt
December 07, 2010 04:45AM
Hi

I have 4 stepper motor driver PCBs [reprap.org] and a sanguino kit [sanguino.cc] I will donate.

I can include some components for the stepper boards so it should not cost to much to buy the remaining parts.

You could probably build a heater controller on strip board at fairly low cost.

PM me the address to send the parts.

Regards

Ian
December 07, 2010 05:44AM
I am having some problem with the guides, finding them a little to all over the place, is there a link to a post or another page that you can send me to another guide?
December 07, 2010 10:12AM
I have PM'd you Ian.
December 07, 2010 10:18AM
MathewDale
I am having some problem with the guides, finding them a little to all over the place, is there a link to a post or another page that you can send me to another guide?

What guides are you referring to?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
December 07, 2010 02:10PM
Like a step by step builidng guide, I cant seem to find one.
December 07, 2010 02:23PM
This is your starting point

[www.reprap.org]

The rest is a learning exercise ;-)

David
December 07, 2010 05:14PM
Yes, the link is correct.
Just follow the steps 1 through 6 in order.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
December 07, 2010 05:35PM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, the link is correct.
> Just follow the steps 1 through 6 in order.

Just!!!

Indeed. lol smoking smiley

Good luck dude. So do you have some teachers that are interested in this project as well? Someone that will push you when times are hard and things are not working as you would like them to?

What happens with the printer when you move on? Does it stay with the school?
December 07, 2010 05:39PM
Well I went in today and basiclly within an hour I had every technology teacher pestering me on the project, they are all excited about it. The headteacher and deputy heads have already booked a meeting with me for friday to discuss this project with me because of the way it will benefit the school.
The printer will stay at the school, I have spent 7 years there and I want to leave it really as legacy (sounds really cheesy but I want to give the school something back)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login