Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally found an easy method to unclog my nozzles

Posted by tmorris9 
Finally found an easy method to unclog my nozzles
August 13, 2016 10:55PM
Thanks to a bad batch of ABS I have had a lot of clogged nozzles lately. Instead of just whining about it I saw it as an opportunity to learn which way works best for me to get them unclogged.

Now, I print almost exclusively in ABS and with a .35mm brass nozzle (TAZ 5).

First few times I tried to unclog nozzles in the past it was hit and miss, I tried soaking in Acetone, tried .35mm drill bits (with disastrous results) and tried torching the nozzles.

What I needed was something that I could poke into the tip that was strong (would not bend when it hit stuck debris) and also would not break (breaking off a drill bit into the nozzle means certain doom for it). I tried various wires and even acupuncture needles but it turned out the perfect (and cheap) material was piano wire (also known as music wire). I have used Piano wire in the past and know how strong it is (broke the head off my best lineman's pliers cutting a 3mm round piece). But I was not aware it was available in very small sizes. Since my nozzles are .35mm I ordered up some .30mm.

First I tried soaking the nozzle in ABS for a long time to get the bulk of plastic out but this was a pain, it worked but not the results I was looking for. Then I thought what If I use the heat method while poking the music wire through and it was a grand moment when 10 seconds with my micro torch and the black blob just came flying out the other end. The nozzle was pretty clean with no plastic left inside. Rinsed it off in acetone for goo measure and it's like new. Now it's a good idea to cut the end off the wire with good cutters first, I noticed they must pinch cut them in bulk and the very end is a little wide (it's feels jagged to the touch).

Now, I got my music wire in the U.S. at McMaster Carr but I am sure there are many other sources. It comes in lots of sizes and even the tiny ones is nearly indestructible and hard to kink. It has a bit of flex to it but not too much. It's just perfect for this particular job and from now an if I get a clog I know it's only a 3 minute fix.

[www.mcmaster.com]

100 pc. 1' long $8.86 (a lifetime supply).
Re: Finally found an easy method to unclog my nozzles
August 14, 2016 12:51AM
You can also buy individual guitar strings in different small gauges for about $1 - $2 a piece. Not quite a lifetime supply, but close.
August 14, 2016 03:19AM
Good find, but how do I know the wire gauge? The sellers only call it e-string or whatever note it is for. Is there a table or someone wants to share his findings?
August 14, 2016 09:40AM
The bristles in a small brass brush work quite well for me:

$2 gets you all three brushes, with more bristles than you can possibly use, ever. I put the nozzle in my vice, and heat it up with a micro blowtorch while pushing the bristle through. Then clean up in acetone. Works quite well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2016 09:41AM by nebbian.
August 14, 2016 11:20AM
o_lampe
Good find, but how do I know the wire gauge? The sellers only call it e-string or whatever note it is for. Is there a table or someone wants to share his findings?

Individual steel guitar strings are sold by the wire diameter, e.g., a "#11" would be 0.011" diameter. Unwound strings range from 0.007" dia (0.18mm) to 0.026" dia (0.66mm), although 0.009 to 0.018 are most common. They aren't usually labeled as particular notes because the same string could be an "e" or a "b" depending on whether you are stringing your guitar with heavy or light gauge strings.
August 14, 2016 02:33PM
If you add another step in your process using PLA, the cleaning will be even more effective. See nophead's method here: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 15, 2016 04:50PM
I skip the blowtorch and just use PLA plus a small needle if needed. Often the PLA will pull out all the gunk without the need for a wire/needle persuader at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login