Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Managing 3D Files

Posted by MechaBits 
Managing 3D Files
August 17, 2016 07:49PM
Things are getting crazy need to adopt a better way to manage files, Wondering what people are using to mange 3d files, Deep exploration CAD, or [connecterapp.com], or something else, ideally something that can handle at least stl's to create a part catalog like Matter Control but perhaps in 3D also, maybe something that can export said catalog into a web page(with 3d viewer), I could do it all one file at a time but thats a real ball ache.

I suppose the easy way is thingverse or shapeways, but there has to be a better solution
maybe a script for adobe pdf generator

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 10:31PM by MechaBits.
Re: Managing 3D Files
August 18, 2016 05:55PM
the search continues,
[splashnology.com]
[www.3ders.org]
but not really the solution.
August 18, 2016 08:19PM
Yea I am a Mac user and my 3D files are mostly in 1 folder (terrible system). When I do important projects I do create a sub folder but it's still not the most ideal method.

Sorry I don't have any real suggestions for you.
August 18, 2016 09:06PM
GitHub is a decent option. It has a built-in 3D STL viewer, online storage, version control, wiki pages, and lots of other stuff. There are a lot of well known RepRap-related hardware projects maintained on GitHub (Mendel90 for example). A while ago I posted a simple quick-start guide for using GitHub with a hardware project.
August 18, 2016 09:53PM
Thanks guy's, Remember the days you computer used to freak out if there where too many files in a folder, or was that just my computer(I used to be on Mac in 1994, but have never looked back) I dont know what it is about github but every time I find myself there, I think... I'll DL that another time bookmark...and never get around to it, it(UI) has me flummoxed, forks repositories code I dont use or understand,(not fork or repository I get that) it has a number of files with stl in there, but stl doesnt always mean a model, there's probably tons of code stuff on there for implementing stl into whatever you want, but it would probably be easier to use thingverse or shapeways for web display side of things..
at one time I was trying to implement 3D into Adobe Flex projects using things like collada & papervision...but flex kinda died, things moved on, and I have pretty much been away from any webdev for years, designing 3D stuff is far more interesting.

So I just did a search to see what Collada is upto and found it works with Cesium which has an interesting demo, though alternate 3d file format
[cesiumjs.org]
converter [cesiumjs.org]

a little like the output from Aurora 3D Presentations.
[www.presentation-3d.com]

Papervision stuff [webdesignledger.com]

Probably not the direction I need, which really is more about pointing a program at a folder&subfolders and having it catalog things, and spit out a nice tidy package

Adobe PDF is one way to go, that can be pointed at a folder to do tasks, though not sure if it will do it for a large folder or multiple items when trying to do it to 3d files(only in correct formats), think it might need one file at a time, if catalog got too large it would also probably bomb out,
I really like the export catalog from Matter Control its better than nothing, but thats obviously just for your stl's, if you want to visually map a folder of multiple 3d projects files and alternate object file formats, 3ds, stp, igs, stl, maybe the best is Deep Exploration,

which appears to be free [deep-exploration.software.informer.com]
though considering the age of it, it might not understand a modern step file, and its now changed its name to
[www.simulistic.com]

Ironcad Compose will also do it but one file at a time, maybe with some other scripting in windows a process could be automated?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2016 01:09AM by MechaBits.
August 31, 2016 07:00AM
Here's a solution, just not the one i'm looking for
Organizing hundreds of .stl files for 3D printing
[garlandindustriesllc.com]
September 02, 2016 12:23PM
I would envision a program like Google Picasa for STLs.

This would be an interesting project.

So I think the program would need:
- A lightweight database
- The ability to scan through the directories, adding all the STL files to the database.
- A function to render the data, like this one: [github.com]
- Simple folder options for organizing the files, naming, tagging, rating
- Sorting by tag/category, etc.
- The display/interface would be a bit trickier - html without a web server would be static, so I think a full desktop app.
- Bonus features: estimation of print time, material usage and cost, object dimensions.

The way I organize things currently is:
I have an "Objects to Print" folder, with sub-folders by category, and then sub-folders for the individual objects.

I have to use individual folders because I usually create multiple files for any project, like:
One or more versions of Meshmixer files when preparing very large objects for printing:
- To combine multiple cut-up STLs back into their original object so I can print it all at once, or to
- Edit large CT scan derived STLs from Digimorph.org to make separate, clean, printable objects, or to,
- Orient an STL for least support and/or combine with custom support shapes.
Any CAD files I used for custom support shapes, or of the object.
The Simplify3d Factory (project) file.
The final output STL.
Any renders of the object.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
September 02, 2016 04:54PM
yeah or something like lightroom for 3d files, some way to export catalogs in a web friendly format/3d gallery.
September 05, 2016 06:25PM
It would be big help if there was a reliable free preview in windows to thumbnail stl's. I tried the k-studio trial edition, which offers a thumbnail generator buts it quite hit and miss when it actually works or not.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
September 11, 2016 05:05PM
So I discovered that the k-studio thumbnail generator has only been hit and miss, as for some reason (probably some shared dll file) when slic3r windows 64 bit is open it doesn't work. I switched to using the 32 bit version of slic3r, as the 64 bit version was crashing every time I took a breath, and stl thumbnails work perfectly. This really helps to find files quickly.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
September 11, 2016 05:43PM
The new Matter control has 3D thumbs too...but you can only export the 2D part cat to pdf.
anyone know why S3D doesnt have a catalog view seems you have to work on seperate files/projects, which adds to more scattering of files.
September 19, 2016 06:05AM
Something new,
GrabCAD Print allows you to print directly from your favorite professional CAD formats, saving hours of time usually spent converting and fixing STL files. Optimize your resources with a management view of all printers** and jobs
[grabcad.com]
September 19, 2016 06:23AM
Looks interesting.

Simon Khoury

September 19, 2016 06:40AM
If you dont mind Stratasys getting all your files smiling smiley
September 19, 2016 07:01AM
smiling smiley Yes but you can say that about Thingiverse, 3DHubs, Micosoft 3d builder etc...

All my stuff is open source.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login