Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New bed adhesion method

Posted by lalalandrus 
New bed adhesion method
August 20, 2016 02:34AM
PLA on heated bare glass plate was great until I started printing larger prints.

After much experimentation, I was unable to get good results until I tried cleaning the bed with one of those melamine sponges that I got from the dollar store (no name "Mr. CLEAN Magic Eraser").

It seems that warm rubbing alchol will slightly dissolve melamine. I found that wiping a warm bed with a melamine sponge prior to printing yielded great results.

I am sharing this information so see if other people can reproduce these results and perhaps arrive at a better solution than gluestick, abs juice, etc as this is a very clean method.
Re: New bed adhesion method
August 20, 2016 02:54AM
Sounds like the ideal recipe for something nasty, [en.wikipedia.org]
I Never heard of a melamine sponge.
August 20, 2016 06:00AM
Well melamine is the white counter tops most cheap furniture use and like I mentioned before it is used in the magic erase sponges, they just dont use the word melamine.
Coincidentally, the wiki page mentions that it is used in white boards which are cleaned sometimes with alcohol based cleaners.
It is also used in dinnerware apparently.

The amount dissolved by the alcohol is really low you almost cannot see the deposited film.
August 22, 2016 07:10AM
I use nothing on the glass when using PLA. I just wipe thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol then briskly rub the glass 'til its pristine with kitchen roll paper. I have difficulty sometimes removing the prints from the glass - not because they're "glued" to the bed but stuck through suction. I knock 'em off sideways.

August 22, 2016 10:43AM
I've started to have adhesion issues with bare glass myself. However, I found if I clean the glass with windex or this green stuff called "Invisible Glass" before I start to heat the bed up (before is important as cleaning it while its hot doesn't help), my prints will stick like glue to the point they won't release until it cools to 35-40C. I generally print at 70C on the heatbed glass.
August 24, 2016 09:56PM
printbite has worked really well for me, i still use hairspray on really small parts cause i dont print raft material
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login