Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Robot arm with interchangable head?

Posted by Nathan 
Robot arm with interchangable head?
March 24, 2007 07:45PM
Instead of using a 3d cartesian robot for the printer is there any reason why a 'simple' robot arm couldn't be used. A robot arm could also easily change heads (or carry multiple heads).
they would also be useful for CNC machines. Im assuming that there are 2 main reasons they haven't been used: 1: they were expensive and complex back when CNC machines were being developed so noone really thought of using them. 2: Accuracy is low.

Accuaracy is something that can be worked on though.
A robot arm based printer could also pick and place electronic components with the right tool.

Just a thought. I'm still going to build a regular reprap!
Re: Robot arm with interchangable head?
March 25, 2007 05:22PM
that is an excellent idea and one i personally support and one that would be interesting to experiment with.

however, we went with a cartesian robot because of the simplicity. once we get the machine out into the wild, you should definitely try and develop the parts in thermoplastic. i'd imagine a easy way to produce robotic arms would be very exciting.
Anonymous User
March 25, 2007 07:02PM
I love the robot-arm idea. But it is really a 2.0 or later type idea. It is a complexity thing - but I'm sure that after 1.0 is out and there are many people experimenting we will see plenty of work towards that goal. With that said - the important thing is getting 1.0 done.
sai
March 26, 2007 05:53AM
It would definitely be a cool thing to make one day. I believe the main reason for not using them (which you already suggested) is that it has some stability issues. Making it as precise and stable with a tool on it is much more difficult than something that is supported on both ends.

But, guaranteed, somebody will make one...
March 26, 2007 05:54PM
I did some poking around, and the small robot arms (serial robots) that kuka makes:
[www.kuka.com]
have a positioning accuracy of 0.02-0.05 mm. That's not a good as a cnc machining center with a comparable sized workspace, and a positioning accuracy of .0002 mil (0.005 mm) but you could probably improve it by adding rotary or linear encoders and crossbracing, (i.e. making it more look like a RepRap.) I think small parallel robots (aka stewart platforms,delta robots) have much better error than small serial robots, but I can't find any numbers just now.

As Simon says, get Darwin out the door, then experiment.
March 26, 2007 08:22PM
I glanced at Kuka's page. Looks expensive, when they invite you to a one on one experience rather than just posting a price list.
April 02, 2007 03:12AM
Agreed. I don't know of the robots in the continuum between Kuka and these robot arm kits:
[www.hobbytron.com]
but there must be a bunch of them out there. Extruder heads are light enough that repurposed pick and place robots might do the job; although I think I'd start by trying to RepRap a robot arm.
April 03, 2007 08:06PM
I'd think Forrest has that as a goal for his telepresence project but he's been busy. I certainly think that lots of what we have would be suitable for an arm as part of an enhancement for manipulation and self feeding etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login