Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are we there yet? Easy to make Open Source DLP 3D Printer

Posted by makeit 
Are we there yet? Easy to make Open Source DLP 3D Printer
January 12, 2011 09:15PM
A few years have passed since I last visited here.

I fantasized about making a DLP rapid prototyping machine back then, and I still do. Seems a guy named Junior Veloso from Singapore has made one.

I remember one of the biggest issues that prevented it from becoming a reality was related to the need to program and calibrate multiple stepper motors control mechanisms in conunction with the images streamed to the DLP projector and build vat. One stepper to move the build tray up. Another to tilt each new layer off of the projection builds base plate- As well as a system that possibly gravity feed more resin into the build area.

But now Zcorp has made a DLP system that seems to use only one stepper motor to control the build tray as it lowers the build tray into a large vat of the photo-curing resin. As far as keeping the resin level at a constant state as the object submerges into the vat. I dont know if the volume remains or not- since it state is being changed. Maybe some of it is lost, but I bet theres a simple way to keep the resin levels exact as the build tray moves down in layers.

This new Zcorp machines simple system, really makes me believe that this is a much more reasonable and simpler way to seek high resolution homemade RP systems, and I really wish someone with the smarts and skills needed to make this a reality would get-er-done. That person is not me sad smiley

So who going to do this? Document it on a blogsite of some sort, and make it a paint by number affair for for those of us less than skilled enthusiast. It's seems like a damn cake walk to me! Considering what some of you guys have done to make some of these other more complex homemade RP systems.

You need a list of suitable DLP projectors that will work with the build your own plans.

CAD designed blueprints of the machines build, with a parts and location of parts list.

A open source program to cut the STL modles into high pixel count 2d 2bit Black and White color images

A program that sends those 2d images as a batch to the machine. After the image is sent this program tells the stepper motor to drop the build tray down a few microns.

A system to monitor and control the resin levels inside the machines build vat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds infinitely simpler to me than all of these other ways used right now, and the resolution and surface finish of any models built using this system would be frigging miles beyond any of the homemade systems in play right now.

Please someone get on this, Make this damn dream real.

I only ask that who ever does work on it please have the 2d 2bit image slice program support high poly count meshes. I hate that places like Shapeways and such have ridiculously low poly count restrictions. Most of my models are in the 6 million poly and over range. Why is it so damn hard to slice large poly models into simple high pixel count 2d 2bit image layers?

I don't get why it's such a memory issue. No matter what the native models poly resolution is- The process involved with program to make it printable- involves analyzing that model and sliced it into a sequence of simple 2bit color flat 2d images. If it's such a memory problem to process those images on high poly count modles. Why not makes those image layers in passes, and save them out as 2bit images in a Project folder. Estimate the maximum number of layer passes the CPU can manage on that 3d object before the memory limits hit- have the program create a save state on the last pass. The program processes and saves out those images before this memory cap hits- The final layer save state is saved as a file. When the maximum number of image layers are created- you close out the program- restart the damn computer. Open the "Save State" file. Finish up or batch out some more layers.

Model Polygon Resolution does not change the number or pixel size of the image layers needed to make the print at the desired scale. I just don't get the issue behind the poly count limits---Unless the program processes the 3d model layer by layer in real time as it is printing. Doing it that way doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It seems kinda dumb to do it that way to be honest. Process and save the images out in a batch file in advance to a Project folder. Open the folder and print out the images in sequence. No realtime CPU abuse needed. Even if the simple 2d image stream caused the memory to run out. Turn off the computer. Turn it back on begin printing from the last layer sent. Why is this such a damn problem??????????

As for the resin system. Wouldn't simple Clear UV Acrylic Nail resin work-- Mixed with a dark opaquing pigment for layer cure thickness control? I know a guy who does prosthetics and he uses this clear nail acrylic all the time.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 10:15PM by makeit.
Re: Are we there yet? Easy to make Open Source DLP 3D Printer
January 13, 2011 02:45AM
You could try with the nail resin. How much does it cost? Do you have a datasheet for it?
January 13, 2011 03:27AM
is nail resin photo sensitive? I thought the difficulty of the DLP method was more to do with the exotic nature of photopolymers.
January 13, 2011 07:30AM
Hello Makeit,

It was also recently discussed here in a slightly different form - DLP Sintering

Look for the Link down the post to a nice working UV sensitive DLP project.

The only thing stopping me doing it is the cost of a suitable UV sensitive Resin / Ink, if you can find one let me know.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 13, 2011 02:35PM
Have a look here diy 3d printer

Random Precision
February 01, 2011 11:47AM
In case anyone is still interested I found this nice cheap UV curing lamp [www.dealextreme.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login