Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different thickness in same piece to print

Posted by carletto73 
Different thickness in same piece to print
September 06, 2016 09:26AM
Hallo,
I drawn and developed a flying wing fully printed. See here

I'm looking for a solution to change the robustness in some part of the piece that I have to print.
Normally I use CuraEngine of Repetier and I can setting thickness of perimeter and thickness of top/bottom, but this is common for all part of the piece that I have to print. I'm looking for a slicer able to change these two parameters in different point of the part, For example, close to the motor I would like to have an infill of 20% and 2 perimeters, instead in other position 3% and just one perimeter to save weight.

Please let me know
Ciao
Carlo
Re: Different thickness in same piece to print
September 06, 2016 10:06AM
You can use slic3r to define different regions of a print with different settings. Exactly how I am not so sure about but it will allow different layer heights in one model easily.

Simplfy3d can almost certainly do this also.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
September 06, 2016 10:08AM
Here's how to do that with Slic3r:

[slic3r.org]
September 07, 2016 02:23PM
Cool! Had wanted to do this in the past as well but didnt know how. Would love to know how to do this in Simplify3d as well..

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
September 07, 2016 03:37PM
Simplify3D is great for this. You can do it in a single model by setting two different processes to start and stop at different heights (but limited to only height) or load the model up in multiple parts and each part gets a new process. I've often used this to do different infills in different parts of the model as well as multi colour prints with filaments that need different parameters.
September 08, 2016 12:35AM
how do you make sure that they are aligned properly when using a single model cut into pieces?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 12:36AM by DaGameFace.

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
September 08, 2016 07:19AM
You have to use cyano acrylate glue. This fix in just 3 seconds. There are not key you have to pay attention. The only misure that I took is that,every face must be glued with only one face, this allow a perfect assembly
September 09, 2016 04:17PM
I think you have missed the point carletto, we are doing this within the slicing software, not post production winking smiley

Normally I would make the models so that you can just center them on the build plate, but if this doesn't work then make the models seperate components in sketchup, and then use S3D to seperate connected models. I'm not sure how with other CAD software.
September 09, 2016 07:53PM
I think i understand what you mean about separating them, will play around in Autodesk Inventor and see if i can get it working
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login