Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Excelvan filament UK group buy idea...

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Excelvan filament UK group buy idea...
January 24, 2017 06:05PM
Good to know but call me a cheapskate but £20 a roll is probably my limit(maybe £30 for something a little more exotic), paying double the Excelvan price might make me buy more metal parts...Just as I was getting the hang of it...the revolution sabotaged.
January 24, 2017 06:33PM
Yeah I'm with you on that, its a kg of ABS - the wholesale price for granules is £0.65/kg. I know its harder to make it into filament and put it on a spool etc... but still I think there must be a sub-£20/roll decent filament out there.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
January 26, 2017 07:08PM
So just got the black Premium ABS from 3dfilaprint, prints and handles like Excelvan, slightly darker pigment, so it looks blacker, and therefore slightly smellier (if thats possible). But £20/roll give or take. One bonus it seems to craze less easily when trimming off a brim etc..

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
March 03, 2017 04:57PM
[www.3dexfilament.co.uk]

Are doing ABS 1kg 1.75mm for £10.99.
No idea if its any good. I bought some of their copper PLA and it was quite nice stuff.

Simon Khoury

March 14, 2017 11:17AM
Technology outlet are having a clearance sale on filament:

This was their email I received today:

FILL YOUR BOOTS!

Spreadsheet of stock available

We Have Over 1000 spools of mainly wanhao premium 3D printer filament
1KG spools from just 8.95 inc VAT

All the filaments are on an excel spreadsheet click on the link above to download the file, select what filament you want, save it and send the excel file back as an attachment to Sales@technologyoutlet.co.uk we will then send a link to pay and ship to you UPS free of charge..
There is limited stocks of these and are sold on a first come first served basis, when they are gone they are gone.

Simon Khoury

March 15, 2017 03:09PM
So what's the best budget PLA at the moment? I like primavalue but a) it's not that cheap (compared to excelvan) and b) it's quite limited in colours.
March 15, 2017 06:16PM
Spreadshite(hammond)...i hate them...do they have any black or grey left DJ?
Anyone tried this [www.imakr.com]
funny they call it floreon as excelvan also used that name for the mic's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 06:18PM by MechaBits.
March 15, 2017 06:57PM
43 rolls of 1kg 1.75mm abs in grey
No black

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 06:57PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

March 15, 2017 07:56PM
cheers, nowt there for me to PLAy with sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 07:57PM by MechaBits.
March 16, 2017 06:54AM
winking smiley

Right now I'm being bombarded with filament for £10/roll from various UK suppliers so I guess market forces at work, the glut of excelvan had dried up but others are filling this niche with their budget filament options. Good to know capitalism still works. Curious also to know why the big warehouse couldn't get more 1.75mm excelvan filament since it sold well, they struggled with 3mm clearly.

Simon Khoury

March 16, 2017 07:34AM
DjDemonD
Right now I'm being bombarded with filament for £10/roll from various UK suppliers so I guess market forces at work, the glut of excelvan had dried up but others are filling this niche with their budget filament options.

The nice thing about excelvan was that it was pretty good, and it was branded. if you buy something with no brand you just don't know what you're getting.
March 16, 2017 09:56AM
True and I can so no reason why they would stop making it, if it sells so well. However spending £10 to try out a no name brand of filament is not a big risk, I've tried 4-5 since and haven't found one that prints badly.

Simon Khoury

March 21, 2017 12:10PM

further into the rabbit hole!!.. if I can master PLA it bring down the cost of a 1 kg £7.80 there about. "wallet can live with that".
March 21, 2017 12:30PM
Are you buying a filament extruder then? Exciting.

Simon Khoury

March 21, 2017 12:42PM
yea the V2 was too tempting pass over ,just need a brit supply of virgin pellets to feed it now. Got an Ebay supply of PLA from lithuania of all places, 5 kg for £24 +postage
December 03, 2017 02:33PM
[www.alibaba.com]

Just thought I'd post this, no idea if this is any good, or if it will even arrive but its ABS 1kg for $5-8/reel and only 2 reels min order.

Simon Khoury

March 06, 2018 04:55PM
Looks like out beloved Excelvan filament, I wonder if it is?

[www.alibaba.com]

Simon Khoury

March 06, 2018 05:13PM
Wow look at that price per kilo, i'm currently spending £18, prints ok, but dont think it's as nice a finish as the excelvan, I think i've seen some good prints from Sunlu.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login