Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What CAD software? POLL

Posted by DaGameFace 
What CAD software? POLL
September 18, 2016 01:35PM
Just would like to know what CAD software you design with. I only know Autodesk Inventor, but I used to use Sketchup, and am in the process of learning Solidworks. Anyone know how to use something like zbrush or blender?
Re: What CAD software? POLL
September 18, 2016 01:49PM
Zbrush is surely interesting for creature creation, but hardly anything else.
I use Cinema 4D and do most of my modeling either parametric, poly by poly or most often a mixture of both.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
September 18, 2016 04:01PM
I use Inventor and NX at school - NX is the best CAD-software I've used but it's not exactly affordable for personal use... Then there's the free softwares: FreeCAD is the most powerful I've tried and it's absolutely worth testing! It has a wide variety of tools and you can create pretty complex stuff with it. If you need/want a smaller, simpler modeller then SolveSpace would be a good option: size is just a few MBs but you can do a lot with it. If you have some coding background, then OpenSCAD is a great option. All the modelling is done by writing code so it might feel a bit strange if you are used to more common type of CAD-softwares. I haven't done much with OpenSCAD but I know it is very powerful, for example someone has even made a full 3d-printer assembly with it! Then there is Blender for more 'artistic' modelling - it's good for organic shapes and stuff like that but it's a bit hard to make objects with exact measurements. With Meshmixer you can quickly and easily make all sorts of cool modifications to your models, add special support structures for overhangs, join two models together and so on.
September 18, 2016 05:46PM
Everything that @harmaasilva said, except I no longer use Inventor, and haven't used NX or SolveSpace.

My preferred CAD software is OnShape, which is an online, browser-based application.

Also a handful of other stuff... Inkscape for editing .SVG and 2D files, NetFabb for repairing meshes, and MeshLab for simplifying meshes.
September 18, 2016 06:08PM
I use SolidWorks and Cinema 4D, I've not found anything that either one or the other can't do. I've not tried it and I don't know how it compares to zbrush but you can sculpt and paint textures within C4D if you have the bodypaint module.
September 18, 2016 08:06PM
+1 for OnShape. The only worry is if the company goes bust and takes all my designs with them...
September 19, 2016 03:13AM
Fusion 360 for me. If you aren't scared of cloud based design (paranoid people get scared) it is perfect.

Also, zbrush is great for a few specific things. Namely, it handles high-polygon 3d scan meshes very well, for modification or general manipulation. I wish the interface was more intuitive, but it gets okay after you use it for a while.
September 19, 2016 07:15AM
I use DesignSpark Mechanical but have also used OnShape a little. Lately I've been running into DSM's limits more and more, so I'm thinking of spending more time learning OnShape. I like being able to run it in Linux- I'd love to get away from Wndows some day. The only problem there is that I'm addicted to my 3D mouse and have yet to get it working in Linux.

I also want to spend some time with Blender or similar modeler.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 19, 2016 08:54AM
the_digital_dentist
my 3D mouse

I didn't know that i needed one until now..
September 19, 2016 09:12AM
I use Solidworks. As a designer by trade its my go to program
September 19, 2016 09:44AM
DaGameFace
the_digital_dentist
my 3D mouse

I didn't know that i needed one until now..

Try one for about an hour and you'll never want to give it up. Left hand moves the object on the screen, right hand draws.

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, you can navigate around the screen with a regular mouse. You can even just use the keyboard to switch views. I've done both and find the 3D mouse much better.

September 19, 2016 02:25PM
I love mine!
I have a 3dconnection Spacepilot Pro on my desk winking smiley

Makes me feel naked without it.
September 20, 2016 07:47AM
Catia is for me best. I have Catia in Home Work
September 20, 2016 08:48AM
Floyd
I love mine!
I have a 3dconnection Spacepilot Pro on my desk winking smiley

Makes me feel naked without it.

Me too, though I really don't use many of the programmable buttons much, so I could use a simpler version. I seem to use the "find" button a lot... IRIC, I got mine new-in-box via ebay a couple years ago for $200.

Maybe I'll start using more of the buttons when I start using a more "professional" CAD program.

September 20, 2016 10:07AM
Honestly out of all the buttons, I only use "FIT" and "ISO"
I was trained using the "puck" version that only has two buttons and I loved it. Simple and only $100
With about 11 years with Solidworks I couldn't be happier with it. For designing its bar non the best IMO.
September 20, 2016 01:01PM
Floyd
Honestly out of all the buttons, I only use "FIT" and "ISO"
I was trained using the "puck" version that only has two buttons and I loved it. Simple and only $100
With about 11 years with Solidworks I couldn't be happier with it. For designing its bar non the best IMO.

I want the puck one! The others are too big, and I don't wanna get too used to all those fancy buttons I won't have anywhere else.

Somebody start a new topic on 3d mouses so we can drool without derailing this topic too much more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 01:02PM by n8bot.
September 24, 2016 03:01AM
I usually prepare 2D drawings in Illustrator, import the eps into Lightwave 3D and use extrude and boolean functions to make the 2D into a 3D object. Using Illustrator is much faster for lining up stuff and get the correct measurements. This works very well for me. I also know how to use inventor, which is great for herring bone gears for example.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
September 24, 2016 01:08PM
imqqmi
I usually prepare 2D drawings in Illustrator, import the eps into Lightwave 3D and use extrude and boolean functions to make the 2D into a 3D object. Using Illustrator is much faster for lining up stuff and get the correct measurements. This works very well for me. I also know how to use inventor, which is great for herring bone gears for example.

That sounds pretty cumbersome. You are not a fan of sketching in Inventor? (or Fusion 360, or Solidworks, or or or...)
September 25, 2016 12:01AM
I like Rhino 3D. Very intuitive and cheap for students and teachers.
September 25, 2016 02:45PM
Inventor and solidworks.
September 26, 2016 11:23AM
I'm running on Linux Mint 17.3, both Mate and Cinnamon. I've been playing around with FreeCad for a while but discovered OnShape a few weeks ago and really like it. I have no intentions of going back to FreeCad.

I also use Inventor 8 on a Windows XP machine.
September 28, 2016 10:22AM
I am using IronCAD as I have been using it for years.
And yes, I am addicted to my 3D mouse as well.

Lykle
September 28, 2016 10:42AM
Thats the second time in the history of the forum that IronCad has been mentionedsmiling smiley
Who turned you onto it?
September 29, 2016 03:47AM
I have been using IronCAD for years.
Tried to sell it in Holland oh 10 years ago or so.
But I am a lousy salesman so didn't do too well.

Didn't diminish my belief that IronCAD is still the easiest way to get into real 3d modelling. It is easy to start with and can grow into extremely complex designs.

I found it "clicks" with my mind, with the way I think. CADAM was the same way in the old days.

Lykle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 03:49AM by Lykle.
September 29, 2016 01:03PM
You should try Fusion360. Beats the pants off of any ten year old cad program. smiling smiley
September 29, 2016 01:38PM
Sure!

Ah well, I can always go and have a look right?

As long as it supports my 3D mouse.
September 30, 2016 11:04AM
Lykle
Sure!

Ah well, I can always go and have a look right?

As long as it supports my 3D mouse.

It sure would! Also, I didn't mean this in an antagonistic way -- just that the way you were talking about IronCAD, it sounded like you might like Fusion360... and I bet they have more features that will make your jaw drop... especially for the price. (Free... even for business... if you make less than 100k USD)
September 30, 2016 12:06PM
Blender & Openscad for me.
kr_
October 02, 2016 05:27PM
Catia V5 for mechanical parts. I've tried many different ones but never quit using Catia. I love the ability to run finite elements calculations on my assemblies in the same software. It's also compatible with many common file types. It has a screw catalogue but if you need more traceparts.com offers compatibles files for about any standard part you need.
Solidworks and Inventor are good too.

I'm also using Blender a lot to do more artistic and non parametric designs. It's different from any other software, takes time to learn, but is very powerful and efficient once you know it. Anything can be designed with it.
October 04, 2016 02:55PM
Autodesk Fusion 360
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login