Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interesting effect with the 3D Benchy in S3D

Posted by Lykle 
Interesting effect with the 3D Benchy in S3D
September 29, 2016 01:27AM
This is not expected.
I wanted to pump a lot of filament through my latest Nimble extruder and decided to print a double sized Benchy. Just to have a nice big volume and still check retraction etc.

So I took the standard Benchy and scaled it to twice the size in Simplify3D. Since it was the Benchy, I didn't really look at the preview just printed it with standard settings in PLA.
5 hours later I had a big pink Benchy.

But there were things missing. The text in the bottom was gone.More surprisingly, the hole in the chimney was gone as well. The little flag post hole at the stern was still there, but not very deep.

How could scaling a model remove these features? Well, I did some investigating in S3D. I had "Merge all outlines into a single solid model" checkmark set. If I switch it off, I get the hole and the text back.
Is this a bug?

Lykle
Attachments:
open | download - IMGP0494.png (468.6 KB)
open | download - IMGP0495.png (347 KB)
open | download - IMGP0496.png (415.5 KB)
Re: Interesting effect with the 3D Benchy in S3D
September 29, 2016 02:33AM
Had a better look at the slicing options etc.
Scaling had nothing to do about it of course, when I sliced the standard size I also lost the chimney hole.

Still, I expected "Merge all outlines into a single solid model" to just be used to fix areas where there are solids overlapping, not removing holes or openings.
It is in the "Repair" section of the options.

Ah well, now printing the Big Benchy again, without the checkmark. I am building quite a fleet here of tugboats in all sorts of colours, sizes and filaments. Good to see that amount of filament being pushed through the Nimble. What else could I use for large volume of filament where the result is not simply a big block of plastic?

Lykle
September 29, 2016 04:43AM
Something you are going to use.
-doors stops I especially like the Hodor door stop if you're a Game of Thrones fan
-Nimble Extruder promotional widgets/logos etc...

[all3dp.com] some more ideas.

I don't know if you can do this but if you're on 3dhubs why not switch your pricing to £0. Then just accept the jobs which look like they'll use filament at the sort of rate you want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 04:44AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
September 29, 2016 06:05AM
You could do that, but rejecting jobs affects your position in searches unless it is for a good reason (apparently each one is reviewed). It's much better to just start cheap on 3Dhubs and then work your way up to a respectable price.
September 29, 2016 06:52AM
Hey DJ,
Thanks, nice ideas.
A few I had already printed, some I had seen but forgotten again, so thank you.

Next is a big teddy bear and after that I for sure am going to print some of those ideas. To start with the SD card mountain. Simple idea, but nice looking.

Yes I am on 3DHubs but I don't want to use that for this. First of all, since I am in Cyprus there are not many people around that want me to print anything. Second of all, I just need to pump as much filament throughout the Nimble. Final endurance test for the whole system. And I don't want to have to pay too much attention on quality for most of the prints. Every now and then I am running a quality check print of course, but the big Benchy's are mainly for volume. Planning to use up a couple of rolls before starting to look at quality again. I want to know if the settings, to get optimal results, have changed after a lot of prints. The poor thing has been going at it now for more that 2 weeks, almost printing 14/7.(Still hesitant to let it run during the night, no thermal protection implemented yet)

Printed a few of those drawers, complete. But my storage system is totally different, so they are less than useful for me.
OK,back to building a print queue for all the stuff. Goodie!

Lykle
September 29, 2016 06:55AM
Hey DJ!
Just found the SAMLA clips, thanks to your link on useful things to print.
I need about 100 of those.

Thanks
September 29, 2016 06:39PM
Lykle
What else could I use for large volume of filament where the result is not simply a big block of plastic?

I have hundreds of things in my "to-be-printed-sometime" queue.
Marble machines.
Garden gnomes.
Xmas ornaments
Puzzles
Money boxes
Kids/Pets toys
Model ships/spacecraft/aeroplanes/cars
September 30, 2016 12:00AM
With 10 yrs of ironcad behind you I'm wondering whats the most interesting model/product you have, that you could print besides the nimble(maybe that cant be printed? as it's for injection).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2016 12:02AM by MechaBits.
September 30, 2016 02:52AM
Hey MechaBits, that is a good question.

On quick reflection, most of my designs don't translate well to being printed.
Case in point, the Swift Flyer attached image. It is a electrically powered bike that you tilt and steer with your feet.
Hands are used for the throttle and brake. Max tilt is 45 deg for now.

But this will not print well, unless I support the hell out of it. Although, it would be good to do a physical stress test on it, after all the calculation I have done on it.

For the rest, designed a lot of houses, that would be nice to print one day.

I could print out my patented invention the FireFloat, but I still have 3 of those in my shed, so whats the point? :-)

Another thing I could print out are my Danger-Toys. To test out the mechanism, for instance for the Crossbow. (Image attached)

Thanks, got me thinking along those lines again.

Lykle
Attachments:
open | download - Swift Flyer.png (265.6 KB)
open | download - Crossbow.png (156.5 KB)
October 03, 2016 04:00AM
We tread similar paths, Architecture, then bike design, now 3d printing, but while I would like to print a benchy just to see how printer performs, kinda pointless till I have the fans in the right place, and the temptation to print something else more useful always overrides, the seas will be awash with failed prints of boats...that's where all the little beads of plastic are really coming fromsmiling smiley

In your benchy print it almost looks like it was scaled after slicing, but I guess its just infill showing through
October 03, 2016 07:38AM
The filament looks quite pulsed - perhaps a gear form issue?
October 06, 2016 11:13AM
Not at all, the surface is very smooth.
Not pulsed at all. Surprised you said that. You might be confused by the fact that it is transparent filament and you can see the infill.

Lykle
October 07, 2016 05:07AM
image 2 you can see that there's missing plastic on top fill on the deck of the boat, the roof isn't smooth if check it against the blue one that's printed

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
October 07, 2016 08:48AM
Yes, that is due to the fact that I was printing with only 2 top layers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login