Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Future Printer Mods

Posted by MechaBits 
Future Printer Mods
October 04, 2016 09:44PM
So I can't afford the latest Markforged but am interested in the possibilities, just seen a video that promises this kind of tech in a year or so, it has a crazy cool new metal extruder.
[www.youtube.com]
Re: Future Printer Mods
October 04, 2016 11:45PM
I love that nozzle design. Thanks for sharing this.
October 05, 2016 12:06AM
Certainly gets the grey matter thinking, hopefully we can fill this thread up with some other innovations..wonder if the nozzle was 3d printed?
October 05, 2016 02:52AM
Hmm, nice!

Wonder if that would work with liquids. For instance, inject lubrication into the plastic part. Sure, you will need materials that interact with each other properly, but I wonder what the result would be.
Besides messy, that is.

You could us the idea for 2 filaments, then you would get the toothpaste stripes, but not very useful.

The mixing nozzle, could that be used to create full colour prints? Feed the colour down the middle, In powder form or liquid. (again, needs to be compatible with the filament)
Would be possible to predict when a colour change is coming so the "stack" of colour feeding down the middle is pre-layered for the colour changes.
Test it out with either colour laser printer toner, or ink from inkjet cartridges.

Lykle
October 05, 2016 03:13AM
i'll be happy with black & carbon fibre threads, kevlar, dyneema, ANYthing... and maybe some other polymer, resin, catalyst in the mix.
what I'm not yet sold on is Carbon nanotubes or Graphine....what I dont get about graphene in filament is it wouldnt be a sheet after it came out the nozzle but more like a crumpled up ball of spiderweb? some scaffold is probably better than nothing I suppose.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2016 05:11AM by MechaBits.
October 06, 2016 03:41AM
They have a laser scanner module on the markforged.. Im interested to know if this actually makes corrections to the model or is it a gimmick?
October 06, 2016 03:57AM
I've heard some bad things about the first printer, so was surprised to see the more expensive machine, whatever the issues with the first one you would think they are gone in the new one, but I have faith that someone will come out with a material that doesnt need the continuous fiber, if the marketing of companies is to be believed it's probably already out there.
Love the picture...

reminds me of the gimbal I was designing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login