Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stringy prints with Volcano

Posted by jamesd256 
Stringy prints with Volcano
October 09, 2016 04:47AM
Has anyone been able to get their Volcano hot end running without ooze/strings?

I've been using the ooze ban object from the essential calibration set to test with. I'm using a 1.0mm nozzle and printing with layer width of 1mm and layer height of 0.6mm. I'm printing PLA at between 190 and 200.

I've tried many permutations of retraction length, up to 12mm, retraction speed, up to 100mm/s, retraction lift up to 1mm, non-print move speed up to 200mm/s, but still get the strings.

I came close to jamming the hot end at the long end of retraction length, which I was expecting.
Re: Stringy prints with Volcano
October 09, 2016 10:12AM
It's a huge melt chamber on that nozzle, around 153 mm3 for the 3mm version, and 60mm3 even for the 1.75! Which are you using? It will be interesting to see to what extent it's possible to control the ooze.
October 09, 2016 10:53AM
How string free do you want it to be?
I found, doing that test, that the temp setting had the most influence over the strings.
My 3rd attempt came out with only 2 angel hairs, but the surface is still very rough. This is due to the fact that I was extruding cheap filament before and had to adjust the extrusion factor.
Now I am extruding with nice good filament so I have to adjust it again.

I have not adjusted my retraction settings at all, just lowered the temp of the nozzle.

Lykle
October 09, 2016 04:18PM
Actually string free is not a top priority. I am more concerned about overhangs, which are not going great - not bad, just not great. I'm awaiting some radial fans to get more airflow for that one.

I'm finding I can print with up to a 150% speed multiplier in Repetier giving me some insane print times with no apparent loss of strength or quality. Only thing is, this needs a bit more heat to get the PLA through at that rate, so I guess it's a trade off with the strings.

I'm printing 1.75mm filament. I will try to experiment with temperature more and will update with findings.

I couldn't control temperature so well before, but now the hot end is nicely wrapped up tight in cotton wool and kapton,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login