Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ripped off USB connector from Rumba

Posted by makerparts 
Ripped off USB connector from Rumba
October 14, 2016 09:04AM
I accidentally ripped off the Mini USB connector on my rumba. I turned my printer while the usb cable was still plugged it and it flexed in a weird way and pop.. the connector came off.
i tried to resolder it on the board and its on.. but it wont connect anymore to my PC.

any advice ?

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
Re: Ripped off USB connector from Rumba
October 14, 2016 03:41PM
make sure you have soldered both the earth lugs on the sides of the connector and the four little contacts on the back of the socket. Chances are you ripped a track off the PCB when the socket was pulled off.
Any chance of a photo?
October 15, 2016 07:57AM
I tried a few times to get it soldered in properly. didnt end up working. but I noticed that just behind the Mini USB connector were 4 holes.. I happen to have some extra pins that i soldered into that spot.. then modified my usb cable to have a 4 pin dupont connect and now it works.. with a custom cable.. not ideal but it works!

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
October 17, 2016 09:16AM
Sounds like a good solution to me! Pin through connectors are much more resistant to accidental physical tweaking.

Cheers,
Robin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login