UK Hairspray
October 18, 2016 12:02PM
Hi, I'm looking for any recommendations for scent free hairspray in the UK and where to buy it, I'm currently using Insette Extra Hold and it works very well but I'm allergic to the scent and could really do with finding an alternative.

So far everything I've turned up is not easily available in the UK which makes me wonder if there is some ingredient that the EU has banned. sad smiley

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
Re: UK Hairspray
October 18, 2016 08:57PM
Just about the only "scent free" hairspray with extra hold is this... never tried it for printing though. Should be good enough, judging from the ingredients, but it catches fire very easily if exposed to a naked flame! smiling smiley

[www.superdrug.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 09:05PM by DragonFire.
October 19, 2016 11:07AM
Started using this [www.technologyoutlet.co.uk]. It's scent free and I've seen it cheaper elsewhere. Only done a couple of prints so it's too early for me to make a recommendation but so far, it's working like a charm with PLA on plain glass at 50 degC.
October 19, 2016 12:20PM
So what is in Hairspray that makes prints stick to it?

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
October 19, 2016 12:42PM
Many hair sprays use lacquer.
October 19, 2016 12:49PM
Rlewisrlou666
So what is in Hairspray that makes prints stick to it?

Little miniature sticks. smiling smiley

Hairspray manufacturers use a range of products. If you compare the ingredients of what the OP is currently using...

"Alcohol, Butane, Isobutane, Propane, Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Aqua, Aminomethyl Propanol, Parfum, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Geraniol, Limonene, Eugenol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde."

from [www.weldricks.co.uk]

... and compare it to the one I suggested...

"Alcohol Denat., Dimethyl Ether, VA / Vinyl Butyl Benzoate / Crotonates Copolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, PPG-3 Methyl Ether."

from [www.ocado.com]

... they actually use two different bonding copolymers, BUT... they are both super strength hairsprays working on keratin fibers (hair), so are very likely to have similar bonding properties for polymers like PLA, ABS etc. Which is better I couldn't tell you. However, the L'Oreal product has 2 different copolymers, as opposed to just one in the Insette product, so that hairspray is more likely to work on a wider range of materials.
October 19, 2016 01:04PM
PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone - Polyoxyethylene and/or Polyoxypropylene.

PPG-3 methyl ether - Polypropylene

They both use plastic blends in the composition.

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
October 20, 2016 02:43AM
I tried several hairsprays and while some worked to a degree they all left residue. Now i either use a PEI plate or 3Dlac, a spray that works better than hairspray and can be removed completely with just a little water. I will never use hairspray again for the mess it makes alone.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
October 20, 2016 11:49AM
Agreed, try one of these new surfaces that stick on or replace the glass bed.
I use Print bite instead of Kapton+abs slurry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login