Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle Wiping surface

Posted by makerparts 
Nozzle Wiping surface
October 24, 2016 04:01PM
I would like to add a Nozzle wiping station/area to my printer

trying to decide on what material would work best to have the hotend wipe against

- Suede/leather
- Scotch Brite Scrub Sponge (Green)
- Silicone rubber

any other suggestions on what can be used. and hopefully not melt with a hot nozzle wiping against its surface

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2016 04:04PM by makerparts.

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
Re: Nozzle Wiping surface
October 24, 2016 04:50PM
How about a removable sponge like you have on Soldering stations?

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
October 24, 2016 05:34PM
PostIt note. Easily removable and replacing not an issue.

Paper or cardboard would be my choice, silicone rubber would make MORE mess. Ignition temperature of paper without flame higher than you think, and it takes a fair amount of time to heat it up that much.

[www.reference.com]

Leather or suede would look nicer, I'll admit. More expensive to replace than cardboard though. They would both work just as well. Just dont use coloured or dyed leather, that might emit fumes when heated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2016 05:44PM by DragonFire.
October 24, 2016 07:54PM
Here's the spring loaded teflon nozzle scraper on a CubeX Duo. The screws are in slotted holes in the trash box so the nozzles can push the scraper down as they pass over it horizontally.

This sort of cleaner might not work if your nozzle profile is tall. The CubeX nozzles are relatively flat.

Stratasys used to use (still?) a brass wire brush...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 24, 2016 08:41PM
the_digital_dentist
Stratasys used to use (still?) a brass wire brush...
My Uprint SE plus at work has the brush/ wiper setup.
October 24, 2016 10:53PM
Whatever you do dont use curtains... the missus will do her nut.
October 25, 2016 03:22AM
Lol, curtains. Sounds like the voice of experience talking.

I personally use an old toothbrush. Looks a bit crappy, but does the job and is surprisingly easy to clean.
Alternative, I have seen people use those little copper brushes.
The small disadvantage I see in these two, is that they do not scrape the molten filament off, the take most of it off and spread the rest around.
October 25, 2016 10:45AM
I was going to use a wire brush, buy a pack of 10 cheapo wire brushes, cut the heads off and print a little clip to hold them in fixed to the side of the print bed. When they're clogged throw them away and replace with a new one. Never got round it, its not often I start a print when I am away from the printer.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login