Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm looking for a 3D print farm?

Posted by khannon3 
I'm looking for a 3D print farm?
October 26, 2016 10:11AM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get some short run manufacturing done and after weighing up the numbers, I don't think it's worth my while buying more 3D printer and doing it myself. Ideally, I'm looking for an overseas 3D print farm that can produce around 500 parts for as little cost as possible $$$. I can't seem to find any onlien, but I'm sure they exist. Does anyone know of any companies doing this?

Regards,
K
Re: I'm looking for a 3D print farm?
October 26, 2016 01:58PM
October 27, 2016 07:46AM
One option would be to look for SLS firms.
Like Shapeways, but there are others that deliver at a lower price. I do not have any experience in the quality of these companies.

Lykle
October 28, 2016 08:42AM
For big runs of one particular part, you might find an extrusion service cheaper than a print farm. Depends how many you want, the initial tooling cost is usually pricier than FDM for low volume orders.

Even a print farm is going to take a while churning out 500 objects, and transportation costs have to be factored too.

What you could do is use a 3d print firm to make up the tools, then ship the tools to the extrusion service to hook up to their factory. That might be your cheapest option. Depends what material they require for their dies, typically they use steel dies, they might not be happy with other materials (even if the alternatives are more durable).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2016 08:48AM by DragonFire.
October 30, 2016 08:06PM
Im actually looking to sell my printer farm. PM'd you.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
November 02, 2016 11:48AM
Hi Dragon Fire,

I've been weighing up the cost for tooling. I've worked on 3D printed injection molds before and it really isn't suited to larger parts or anything over 20-100 units. The costs are still relatively high as material jet/poly jet printing is v. expensive.

Regards,
Kevin
November 02, 2016 11:53AM
I'm have an fairly active hub on 3D hubs, (I appear at the top of the list in Ireland). An I can't see it being cost effective unless the infrastructure is there in an existing company that has 20+ printers which are running all off the time.

I picture Point farms over seas, with printers as far as the eye can see that can produce parts for a percentage over cost price. Am I dreaming?

Regards,
Kevin
November 05, 2016 11:48AM
You got to have a lot of filament changes. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login