Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best place to buy rods (UK)?

Posted by muntahunta 
Best place to buy rods (UK)?
October 29, 2016 08:48AM
I have plans to build a new 3D Printer based on an i3 and i'm struggling to find smooth rods.

My local hardware store does threaded m8 rods but no smooth rods and I'm wanting to make a bigger machine so want M10 threaded rods, M5 threaded rods, and Ø12 smooth rods preferably 1 meter long so I can cut the correct sizes myself.

I've tried the internet but for what i'm looking for i'd have to spend £200 on smooth rods alone including delivery.

I'm from the north east of england so any large hardware stores or even a cheap online store that delivers to the UK would be great.
Re: Best place to buy rods (UK)?
October 29, 2016 12:58PM
If you don't mind waiting the cheapest place is eBay most of the Chinese stores delivery to the U.K for free its just a gamble how long they will take to get to you.

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
October 29, 2016 01:37PM
I use Zapp Automation [www.zappautomation.co.uk] But I would advise getting your smooth rods cut to exact length as it is hardened steel.

Mike
October 30, 2016 08:49AM
I've used dold-mechatronik a couple of times, good prices, pretty quick delivery from Germany and since we're still in the EU no import duty. Their website is in German but they speak English so you can email them info@dold-mechatronik.de and get a quote.
November 01, 2016 03:05AM
I am not related to or connected to this company except in the fact that I own one of their 3d printers.
Ooznest is a reliable UK company that sells 3d printers and their parts.

http://ooznest.co.uk

And they also have an ebay shop.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ooznest?rt=nc
November 01, 2016 11:51AM
Technically AALCO are a supplier but they can be a bit fussy about small orders.

Nice part is, they do have a lot of offices scattered about, so finding a local one can be feasible (easy for me, it's 500 yards away).

If you google "steel rod" UK you can also find quite a few places, finding a local one is the tricky bit.

It's hugely competitive area and has been for centuries, crap suppliers do not last long in the UK. smiling smiley

Unlike some other places I could mention. ;/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login