Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

custom rainbow filament?

Posted by sungod3k 
custom rainbow filament?
November 06, 2016 04:19AM
Hi,

I want to print some fancy vases for Christmas gifts and I was thinking about rainbow filament. On google you find some stores here and there but not with a lot of choice. Does anyone know a shop with bigger variety or even custom color choices? I wouldnt mind paying a premium and I know from some jobs that certain suppliers start offering custom color from 3-5 kilos upwards, so it should be to hard to do technicallly.

Cheers
Re: custom rainbow filament?
November 07, 2016 03:11AM
You could try faberdashery.

But they do not make rainbow filament on a spool. You get 10x10 meters of different colours so you are responsible for switching the colours.

[www.faberdashery.co.uk]
November 07, 2016 07:28AM
There is a filament splicer, which is easy to use on thingiverse. Maybe try to make your own rainbow?
November 11, 2016 05:46PM
Even simpler, just get white filament and a set of Sharpie permanent markers. The you can make whatever color sequence you want without messing up with splitters. You can color the filament before it gets into the extruder and you can alter the shading by the amount of "painting" you do, such as on one side of the filament for lighter shades, two sided for deeper colors.
November 12, 2016 08:53AM
ipcalit
white filament and a set of Sharpie permanent markers
you tried that, got a pic of the result and how long it take till the dried burnt ink blocked your nozzle?
ECJ
November 12, 2016 10:07AM
jinx
ipcalit
white filament and a set of Sharpie permanent markers
you tried that, got a pic of the result and how long it take till the dried burnt ink blocked your nozzle?

I think it's worth a try. Stuffing a nozzle does not seem to be the end of the world! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 12, 2016 11:35AM
let us know how that dull milky crap looks, while we wait [richrap.blogspot.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 11:52AM by jinx.
November 18, 2016 06:31PM
You could always try spray painting the filament before you print

[www.youtube.com]
November 21, 2016 04:50PM
Actually I think Richard (RichRap) was one of the early people to use sharpie to color filament as it entered the extruder. He also showed how you can dye nylon filament all kinds of color with RIT fabric dye.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login