Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin needs your help to go 32Bit

Posted by makerparts 
Marlin needs your help to go 32Bit
November 18, 2016 10:59PM
Trying to raise some money to help out the hard working Marlin development team, with the goal to get Marlin on 32bit boards

If you have a few bucks and Marlin has been useful to you. please give back directly to the developers

Thanks

Adam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2016 03:29PM by makerparts.

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
Re: Marlin needs your help to go 32Bit
November 19, 2016 03:43AM
I strongly disagree

Marlin is bloated, its old and hacked to bits and it makes many compromises just to barely function. (some of those are due to trying to run on an under powered processor)

If you want to support 32 bit firmware support the smoothieware guys or the duet firmware guys.

There is zero reason to port marlin and waste time and money and resources when these other better firmwares options already exist.
November 19, 2016 03:49AM
Dust

There is zero reason to port marlin and waste time and money and resources when these other better firmwares options already exist.
Do duet and smoothieware support dual x carriages?

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
November 19, 2016 05:42AM
Srek

Probably not, because your not supporting those firmware to request it, or better yet add those features yourself.
Also because its a feature that 99.999% of us don’t need
November 19, 2016 06:00AM
Srek
Dust

The Duet does https://duet3d.com/wiki/Configuring_multiple_independent_X-carriages_on_a_Cartesian_printer
November 19, 2016 08:16AM
Dust
I strongly disagree

Marlin is bloated, its old and hacked to bits and it makes many compromises just to barely function. (some of those are due to trying to run on an under powered processor)

If you want to support 32 bit firmware support the smoothieware guys or the duet firmware guys.

I wouldn't be so harsh, but without showing some preview of features yet unreleased by other firmware, I stick with rocksolid and easy configurable RRF.
November 19, 2016 08:42AM
Smoothie V2 update here: [www.google.com]

My past experience with Marlin wasn't very good. I switched to smoothie about 2 years ago and would never consider going back to anything that uses multiple config files or Arduino IDE. The only disadvantage of the Smoothie board is the cost compared to dirt cheap Chinese Arduino/RAMPS combos (or even the MKS SBASE boards that run smoothieware), but you get what you pay for in both cases. The cheapo boards are usually poor quality and use poorly designed stepper driver modules, and configuring them is a PITA. Smoothie is easy to configure and doesn't require compiling anything (or keeping a version of the compiler that is compatible with the version of Marlin that you're using, working). Smoothieware, running on a Smoothieboard, saves a lot of time, and to me that's a feature worth paying for.

Maybe a 32 bit version of Marlin (should it still be called Marlin?) would fix some of those problems, but to me the "marlin" brand is synonymous with "headache". Maybe you'd attract more funding if you called it something else...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2016 08:55AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 19, 2016 01:36PM
Marlin already runs on 32 bit platforms, see [blog.st.com], so I don't see why any money is required. Get ST's version.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 20, 2016 03:31PM
trying to code a single code base and hardware abstraction layer that can be used my many different 32bit boards is a difficult process.
also ST's version is not using an up to date version.

There are many issues involved

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
November 20, 2016 03:50PM
>Smoothieware, running on a Smoothieboard, saves a lot of time, and to me that's a feature worth paying for.

Smoothieboard is an ironic name as it doesn't even do x16 microstepping accurately and has glitches in the the ADC. The last time I paid any attention to the software (which was admittedly a long time ago) it didn't even manage to coordinate the motors to stop at the same time.

November 20, 2016 04:52PM
[github.com]
There is a version of Marlin which runs on 32bit, it will not be the best but turns.

I use it on Alligator V2 board on Delta with display Nextion 4.3".

Configurator online

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2016 04:54PM by MagoKimbra.

COMPRA ITALIANO - sostieni le nostre aziende - sostieni la nostra gente - sostieni il tuo popolo - sosterrai te stesso.
Alberto C. felice possessore di una Kossel K2
My Blog - My Thingiverse
November 20, 2016 05:00PM
nophead
>Smoothieware, running on a Smoothieboard, saves a lot of time, and to me that's a feature worth paying for.

Smoothieboard is an ironic name as it doesn't even do x16 microstepping accurately and has glitches in the the ADC. The last time I paid any attention to the software (which was admittedly a long time ago) it didn't even manage to coordinate the motors to stop at the same time.

Ever tried RepRapFirmware?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 20, 2016 05:25PM
dc42
nophead

Ever tried thinking "I won't spam this thread?"

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
November 20, 2016 06:15PM
dc42
nophead

Does it run on a Smoothieboard? I don't have a Duet.

November 21, 2016 02:35AM
nophead
dc42

Does it run on a Smoothieboard? I don't have a Duet.

As well as the Duet series, it runs on RADDS/Arduino Due and Alligator - although I think the Alligator port is quite old.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 22, 2016 04:11AM
I'll take a look at this later and will probably give some money.

I'm quite happy to, I use duet now but ramps + marlin got me through a year of printing, and allowed me to enter the 3D printing game at a reasonable cost. I owe them at least a donation.
November 22, 2016 07:10AM
I feel I owe Marlin a donation.

I also think they are innovating things like UBL to print objects onto uneven print beds and compensate to remove the unevenness from the object. That's a good idea, assuming that flat print beds are not always easy/cheap to achieve.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
November 22, 2016 09:05AM
However having asked them I am not sure they want our money....

[github.com]

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
November 22, 2016 09:22AM
Maybe they do after all.
[www.gofundme.com]

Simon Khoury

November 22, 2016 09:30AM
delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 09:31AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 22, 2016 10:58AM
DjDemonD

I also think they are innovating things like UBL to print objects onto uneven print beds and compensate to remove the unevenness from the object. That's a good idea, assuming that flat print beds are not always easy/cheap to achieve.

That's exactly where I see marlins users: Cheap printers with uneven beds...I was one of them sad smiley
November 22, 2016 11:09AM
Yes and I was one of them too but we both moved on to more expensive and solid printers where it wasn't necessary. That doesn't mean it wasn't an important part of the journey. Or that it is not innovative. If you have a very large print bed it will not be flat unless you are willing to throw a lot of money at.

Plus I think the idea that consumer 2D printers costing £30 are able to produce reasonably decent A4 prints because they have software to maximise the utility of cheap easy to produce hardware.

Simon Khoury

December 01, 2016 05:34PM
nophead

Well that's just really not true at all ...

It definitely does 1/16 microstepping accurately, it does it *extremely* well, and even does acceleration per-step now ( smoothieboard v1.1, coming in a few weeks, will even do 1/32 microstepping ).
There are definitely no glitches in the ADC. We even have very good filtering if your wiring is giving you trouble.
The thing with "motors not stepping at the same time" was several years ago, was a bug that was introduced then fixed relatively quickly, was only in some setups, and was a very minute effect. Smoothie has had at least two major rewrites of the step generation code since then, and has stellar step generation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 05:37PM by arthurwolf.
December 01, 2016 05:43PM
Dust
Srek

Probably not, because your not supporting those firmware to request it, or better yet add those features yourself.
Also because its a feature that 99.999% of us don’t need

Actually, there are users who have gotten dual X carriages to work with Smoothieware.
It's not directly supported in the firmware, but by using the switch module ( smoothieware.org/switch ) to turn the enable pins on and off on the drivers, and by configuring the slicer to send specific gcodes for extruder changes, you can get it to work.
Smoothie is extremely versatile, sometimes you can do things like this just by changing the config, you just need to know Smoothie and what it can do.
December 01, 2016 05:55PM
Well try G1 X 100 F1 and listen if the microstepping works. See [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk] for the reason it doesn't and the simple fix. This problem was well known in the RepRap world after my article so I was surprised to get a Smoothieboard with Rosc = 10K and found it ironic.

I stopped following on github, and it may have been two years ago, but at that point I read that the ADC produces bum samples of 0 or FFF due to a hardware bug and has to be filtered in firmware. The motors weren't synchronised due to the firmware being far too high level and modular and you were running out if program space. At that point I lost interest and it has been gathering dust. In the meantime my requirements for 3D printing have outgrown it.

December 01, 2016 06:03PM
nophead
Well try G1 X 100 F1 and listen if the microstepping works. See [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk] for the reason it doesn't and the simple fix. This problem was well known in the RepRap world after my article so I was surprised to get a Smoothieboard with Rosc = 10K and found it ironic.

I stopped following on github, and it may have been two years ago, but at that point I read that the ADC produces bum samples of 0 or FFF due to a hardware bug and has to be filtered in firmware. The motors weren't synchronised due to the firmware being far too high level and modular and you were running out if program space. At that point I lost interest and it has been gathering dust. In the meantime my requirements for 3D printing have outgrown it.

Yep, you know nothing about Smoothie or Smoothieboard and probably shouldn't be talking about stuff you haven't looked at for two years, when it's one of the most actively developed systems around. Not only are you wrong about the problems you mention, but the code is completely different now.
I'm glad you are not using it anymore, we *really* don't need users like you.
October 08, 2017 05:10PM
I will stick with Marlin because Im sure that people who develop it will do even better job with 32-bit version, I cant wait for proper Re-Arm board
October 09, 2017 03:38AM
Vido
I will stick with Marlin because Im sure that people who develop it will do even better job with 32-bit version, I cant wait for proper Re-Arm board

Me to.

I have 2 printers, both with Marlin, both with Mega/RAMPS.
Tried Repetier - gave up after 2 month of fiddling.

I simply can not afford to buy something like Duet.

Keep up the good work on Marlin!
October 09, 2017 09:38AM
You could always buy a glue gun and print by hand!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login