Real world experience with ABS outdoors wanted
December 01, 2016 06:37AM
I have a friend that makes all the signs for a local school district and they need a solution. They use numbers painted on a paved lot to get kids to line up (I don't know what exactly for). Up to now they used laser cut stencils to paint the pavement but it wears off very fast. He asked me about making little pucks like road markers with number on top that they could glue to the pavement. I can put the number in it and color fill it with resin no problem but I am not sure how ABS is going to hold up. It's in Southern CA so no freeze or snow issues but there will be lots of sunlight and some rain (liquid sunshine as we call it).

They want white ABS with some colored numbers (not sure about the color yet). I don't have a 2 color printer but I am very familiar with resins (and it's actually a big part of my business) so I can fill them with polyurethane resin in pretty much any color they want and it will hold up.

Now we are not expecting them to last forever but a year or two would be nice.

They want to test it with 1 school (60 numbers) and if it works out I might get the entire school district (8 schools I think) and of course they would need replacements every once in awhile.

So, if you have any real world knowledge of ABS prints outdoors I would like to hear about it.

Thanks.
Re: Real world experience with ABS outdoors wanted
December 01, 2016 07:28AM
Many natural and white ABS prints i made over the years discolored and became yellowish. This did not seem to make any difference regarding stability though.
I fear your results may depend a lot on the exact pigments used in the ABS you use.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
December 01, 2016 08:44AM
Ive had ABS shift bushings that I made on my car be in under hood temps in FL for the better part of 3 years before failing.
December 01, 2016 10:40AM
Sorry, no real world experience to report, but I have wondered the same thing and was interested to see ASA being promoted as a UV resistant alternative, for example see

[filaments.ca]

or

[filaments.ca]

Regards,
James
December 01, 2016 12:17PM
Over a year in a black ABS gps bracket that screws under my rear view mirror in one of my cars. Doesn sit under the sun every day, but it is there for many hours at a time when it does grinning smiley

Printers: Heavily redesigned TwoUp with E3D V6 and Robo3D R1+ with Chimera/Cyclops
December 02, 2016 11:17AM
Printed a black ABS fuel tank cap for a lawnmower, believe it's on it for almost 2 years now. The lawnmower sits outdoor, cap still looks like it was printed yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 11:18AM by Frans@France.
December 02, 2016 11:50AM
Oh yea and I have a phone mount on my motorcycle that I made and it looks and works great still after a few months.
December 02, 2016 02:18PM
Thanks everybody!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login