Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Other heatresistant materials

Posted by VDX 
VDX
Other heatresistant materials
December 11, 2007 11:44PM
Hi all,

... for housing and embedding high-temp-sensors i searched methods and materials, that can be milled and withstand temperatures over 500
Re: Other heatresistant materials
December 11, 2007 11:49PM
That Is really Cool. But then you have to conquer the problem of actually pushing the high-temp material through the extruder, because it most likely wont just float through like the plastics we use.

Jay
December 11, 2007 11:53PM
Ack, no. He's looking for a replacement material for the PTFE thermal barrier for the extruder. Right now the RepRap is thermally limited from attempting to extrude some of the traditional engineering plastics as the required temps will melt the PTFE.

Shell foamed ceramics may be useful as the air space will improve the thermal isolation. I suddenly have an urge to go and find a lava rock.
VDX
December 12, 2007 12:02AM
Hi Jay,

... this is the job to do in 'new types of extruder-heads' winking smiley

Actually i point on the PTFE-barrel, which could be replaced, so some 'low-temp'-alloys or -glasses, that melts between 300
December 12, 2007 03:40PM
What about using heat resitant cements?
[www.purimachos.demon.co.uk]

It woul dbe a matter of having the correct molds. Maybe silicon molds would work nicely. Also i'm trying to mix resins that have a degree of flexibility but still maintain an accurate shape. This would be useful as mold material.
VDX
December 12, 2007 04:51PM
Hi Fernando,

... i'm on CNC-milling because i need accuracies down to 50 microns with parts in sizes of some centimeters, what isn't practicable with molding or sintering.

But for coarser parts molding is much cheaper and you can make series, so it's a nice to have method when rethinking/redesigning the extruder-head ...

Viktor
December 17, 2007 10:03PM
nice. with a heat resistant paste that dries to solid + a syringe extruder we can easily make heat resistant parts such as the PTFE barrier out of printer materials.

i seriously cant wait until we get enough functioning repraps in the wild so that starting work on designing a printable syringe extruder is practical.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login