Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What makes a good starting point?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
What makes a good starting point?
December 12, 2007 02:45AM
I find the concept of a rapid prototyping robot fascinating, and I would love to dive in headfirst to building a RepRap myself, but for a few obstacles. The most pressing would be financial. As a starting point I was thinking about salvaging a few stepper motors from defunct printers or such, and setting up the appropriate control hardware (stepper controllers and hardware and software to interface with a PC). Ideally whatever I start out with would be something I could eventually scale up to build a full functional RepRap. I think this would probably give me enough of a project to keep me busy for a few months, while also not stressing my starving student lifestyle.

Practically speaking, I'm not an engineer, an electrician, a computer programmer, or a machinist but I like to think I have a good working knowledge in each of those areas.

Does anyone have advice on what a good starting point would be? What sort of hardware should I keep my eye out for (ie would an Arduino-based controller be a good place to start or will I get myself into trouble)? Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Thanks (in advance) for any advice you can lend!
Re: What makes a good starting point?
December 12, 2007 04:00AM
Chancey,

I have taken apart a bunch of printers to salvage the stepper motors. They are fun to play with and if you get the really old printers then they can be somewhat useful. The Arduino is sounding like the way to go. Besides, if you are into this kind of project stuff the arduino can be used for other things too.

As far as a RepStrap is concerned...McWire is my choice because it is cheap. Also, consider bolting things to walls and benches to save on frame components if money is tight. You can do a lot with very little if you really cut corners and pinch pennies.

Demented (Another starving student!)
December 12, 2007 06:29PM
One thing you can do is download and set up all the software. You'll need, at a minimum, the RepRap host software. You might also want to install Art of Illusion. The nice thing about RepRap is that the host software will simulate a build (using the "Null Cartesian" geometry). So, you can experiment with creating parts in Art of Illusion, export them to STL and have the RepRap software draw out the parts on screen. Major bonus: It doesn't cost anything.

After that, you could start looking at the electronics. Building the boards isn't too expensive. You're probably looking at $150 for boards plus components. You don't absolutely need stepper motors to test the boards. You can use the "Stepper Tester" board but the blinking lights aren't nearly as satisfying as hearing the whine of the stepper motors.
Anonymous User
December 12, 2007 09:42PM
Has anyone built RepRap with Arduainas for controllers?
December 12, 2007 07:14PM
Arduainas?

Arduinos surely? as in [www.arduino.cc]

Check here:

MAKE: WE Podcast 1:
[blog.makezine.com]
With PDF:
[blog.makezine.com]

MAKE: WE Podcast 2:
[blog.makezine.com]
With PDF:
[blog.makezine.com]

Also RepRap forum thread here:
[forums.reprap.org]

Personally Arduino doesn't provide enough grunt for RepRap. I think Wiring [www.wiring.org.co], which is essentially the granddad to Arduino is a far better option.
Anonymous User
December 13, 2007 02:59PM
Thanks for the tips... I've already found myself a pile of old stepper motors (it's amazing the things people throw out), and I'm going to pick up an Arduino and most of the electronics from the RRRF so I can be sure the electronics are close to standard. I think I will take more liberties with the actual structural components to keep my budget down.
Anonymous User
December 13, 2007 03:00PM
I will also definitely start to play with the software while I wait for things in the mail...
December 17, 2007 10:16PM
heya.

using salvaged stepper motors + the 'generation 2' arduino-based electronics are a good bet.

i've made a ton of progress on the firmware, and the arduino stuff is now compatible with the reprap host software. simply hook up your stepper motors to the stepper driver boards, and you will be able to have 3 axis stepper control. of course then you need all the other things like a cartesian bot, opto endstops, the rest of the electronics, an extruder, etc.

however, you'll be well on your way to having those =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login