Advanced

Best value/quality PLA filament recomendations

Posted by imk 
imk
Best value/quality PLA filament recomendations
January 02, 2017 04:24PM
Hello,
So am getting to grips with printing on my Prusa i3 clone now [youtu.be]
and well I have lots more ideas I would like to make so now is time to buy much more 1.75mm PLA.
So I was wondering what the consensus of opinion is re the best value for money make/type and supplier of PLA is please?
Many thanks and a happy new year imk.
Re: Best value/quality PLA filament recomendations
January 02, 2017 06:38PM
My personal favorite is eSun PLA+ and PETG. The PLA+ has replaced the regular PLA for my printing. Gives better strength and flexibility over PLA.
January 03, 2017 07:05AM
If you happen to be in Canada then the filaments.ca house brand filaments are reasonable value, especially when on sale. I've also had good results with the solutech brand, but the supply (at least on Amazon.ca) seems to be dwindling. I'm currently using some MG chemicals petg which seems to be fine, but I haven't tried their pla.
imk
January 03, 2017 08:44AM
Many thanks for the replies, but sorry forgot to mention am in UK
imk
January 03, 2017 12:24PM
ElmoC
My personal favorite is eSun PLA+ and PETG. The PLA+ has replaced the regular PLA for my printing. Gives better strength and flexibility over PLA.

Hello ElmoC are you by any chance in UK as finding it tricky to locate a supplier of esun pla+ here.
many thanks imk
January 03, 2017 12:52PM
imk
ElmoC

Hello ElmoC are you by any chance in UK as finding it tricky to locate a supplier of esun pla+ here.
many thanks imk

No. I checked the eSun site and they don't have a distributor in the UK. I did see one in France though. Not sure how difficult it would be to order from there.
January 03, 2017 01:39PM
Best value / quality is DIY. Any screw-ups with quality are then your problem.
January 03, 2017 02:03PM
bollocks...£10 for a roll of excelevan if you can get it, perfect...anything more expensive should be amazing but paying a high price doesnt necessarily mean better quality.
January 10, 2017 09:28AM
Excelvan has been great in the UK, but something has happened to supply of the 1.75mm filament, its like they either no longer make it or a container full sunk somewhere in shipment. Other non-name filaments are still available on ebay at cheap prices but the one roll I tried was unusable.

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
imk
January 10, 2017 10:04AM
DADIY
Excelvan has been great in the UK, but something has happened to supply of the 1.75mm filament, its like they either no longer make it or a container full sunk somewhere in shipment. Other non-name filaments are still available on ebay at cheap prices but the one roll I tried was unusable.

DADIY ya I can't find any either, lots of 3mm but no 1.75.
Maybe container lost or as was mega value for money it has all been bought up and sitting in warehouse until they can hick the price up :-)
IMK
January 10, 2017 11:46AM
I saw some at double the price, but it seemed to have gone through a rebrand, same roll different name 'So'
Either I predicted right, they get us hooked then cut off supply/hike price...or they read the prediction and thought yeah what a good idea lets do it...added to that the news is saying how the raw material costs are going up in China...and they might pass it on to us....god the news is so slow...it's not might pass it on, they will, along with everyone else in the chain...so a 10% hike doesnt feel like 10% if everyone wants a slice, added to that the exchange rates, where getting screwed every orifice, I'm off to get a crate of KY to make the experience a little less painful

The Filament Boycott is coming.
imk
January 10, 2017 03:39PM
MechaBits
I saw some at double the price, but it seemed to have gone through a rebrand, same roll different name 'So'
Either I predicted right, they get us hooked then cut off supply/hike price...or they read the prediction and thought yeah what a good idea lets do it...added to that the news is saying how the raw material costs are going up in China...and they might pass it on to us....god the news is so slow...it's not might pass it on, they will, along with everyone else in the chain...so a 10% hike doesnt feel like 10% if everyone wants a slice, added to that the exchange rates, where getting screwed every orifice, I'm off to get a crate of KY to make the experience a little less painful

The Filament Boycott is coming.

Maybe time to start a 3D printer club/group and buy the stuff in bulk and then member buy it.
Sort of find 50 or so people on forum that want a roll of red and buy it in bulk.
January 10, 2017 04:11PM
been discussed before Excelvan not sure I want to wait around to find 50 people wanting one colour
imk
January 10, 2017 05:10PM
jinx
been discussed before Excelvan not sure I want to wait around to find 50 people wanting one colour

Mmmm ok see the point then what about getting a number of these 3D print shops involved.
See my post to Excelvan thread
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login