Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CF reinforced nylon!!

Posted by JamesK 
CF reinforced nylon!!
January 02, 2017 08:33PM
Ye gods, I just discovered eSun have a nylon based carbon fiber filament. I want some, and how!

[www.esunchina.net]
Re: CF reinforced nylon!!
January 02, 2017 10:55PM
Are you familiar with MarkForged Onyx filament? It is a high-quality, high-cost version of this, and I have had excellent experiences with it.
January 03, 2017 04:06AM
What do you expect from such a material combination?
Nylon is often used for self lubricating gears and such, but carbon is abrasive and destroys gears in no time.
Do you expect, the carbon particles are completely enveloped in nylon?
January 03, 2017 06:46AM
epicepee
Are you familiar with MarkForged Onyx filament? It is a high-quality, high-cost version of this, and I have had excellent experiences with it.

No, I haven't tried that. I tend towards the low cost end of the market, so I have yet to explore any of the premium filaments. It sounds great though smiling smiley

o_lampe
What do you expect from such a material combination?

Nylon is one of my favorite printing materials due to the strength and wear resistance, but I struggle with the amount of warp which I find even worse than abs. The flex isn't always what you want either. I have some CF/abs filament and the CF seems to greatly reduce the warp as well as increase stiffness. So a CF/nylon filament I'm hoping will keep the nylon strength and wear characteristics while being significantly easier to print and stiffer. If that were true it would come very near the top of my list for an engineering plastic for 3d printing, although price is likely to be a problem for me smiling smiley

(I'm not a believer in a single 'best' filament, sometimes you want a flex filament, sometimes you want hardness etc. But an easy to print, hard wearing and stiff plastic is certainly a key capability to have in the tool box.)
January 04, 2017 03:14AM
Right after I'd sent the above comment about carbon being abrasive, I thought: Graphite is 100% carbon and is used as dry grease. Maybe I was wrong with my statement and the nylon filament just contains a shot of graphite? I hope you can show us some parts later, I'm curious about the surface finish.
January 04, 2017 06:42AM
o_lampe
Right after I'd sent the above comment about carbon being abrasive, I thought: Graphite is 100% carbon and is used as dry grease. Maybe I was wrong with my statement and the nylon filament just contains a shot of graphite? I hope you can show us some parts later, I'm curious about the surface finish.

I was wondering about the abrasiveness - the CF filaments are supposedly hard on nozzles so vendors recommend using steel instead of brass. I wonder what form the carbon is in - perhaps there's a marketing opportunity for "diamond reinforced filament" smiling smiley

I'd love to show you some parts, if only I had some filament. I contacted filaments.ca who distribute eSun, but they don't have any. I offered to review a sample if they get some in smiling smiley It would be interesting to compare CF/pla, CF/abs, CF/nylon and their non-CF counterparts.
January 04, 2017 07:42AM
The problem with carbon fiber filament is that the fibers are not giving anisotropic strength to the part, they are only giving strength in the XY plane, which if your printer is set up correctly will already be terrifically strong.

If you want awesome strength, consider annealing. Even PLA performs well with annealing.
January 04, 2017 08:36AM
Then I'd give CF/ABS a chance and just dip it in aceton for a short moment. That would improve layer bonding a lot.
January 04, 2017 08:45AM
o_lampe
Then I'd give CF/ABS a chance and just dip it in aceton for a short moment. That would improve layer bonding a lot.

Funny you should say that, I've been printing the corners for my next printer in ordinary ABS and experimented with brushing acetone on them as a post processing step. My impression is that it penetrates into any gaps and helps form a stronger shell around the print. I think I'll be using this technique for the majority of structural parts. I'll try it next time I print some CF/ABS as well.
January 04, 2017 08:54AM
Origamib
The problem with carbon fiber filament is that the fibers are not giving anisotropic strength to the part, they are only giving strength in the XY plane, which if your printer is set up correctly will already be terrifically strong.

If you want awesome strength, consider annealing. Even PLA performs well with annealing.

Strength is a multi-faceted concept - I'm already happy with the shear strength and layer bonding of nylon, what I'm hoping for with the CF mix is less warp and more stiffness. If it can provide that then I just have to figure out how much $$$ that's worth to me smiling smiley

On a somewhat related note, I did a first print with eSun's ABS+ last night. Nothing particularly adventurous, but it seems promising. They claim it to be abs with less warp and if that's true it will be a very pleasant upgrade, but again I have to figure out if that's worth enough to me to justify the extra cost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 08:54AM by JamesK.
January 04, 2017 08:34PM
Origamib

I've tried annealing PLA, but have seen a significant amount of shrinkage. In particular, I tried annealing a CF/PLA guitar body and it distorted enough to render it useless. Has anyone else had this issue when annealing PLA?
January 06, 2017 04:13AM
I have just ordered a roll of "Carbonyte" from Rigid.ink, i will let you know what its like but its muchos £££
January 06, 2017 07:09AM
Oh my, that really is expensive! Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
January 07, 2017 03:27AM
Yeah, put the phrase "carbon" to something and sell it for it's weight in gold...

Like James said, lets call it diamond reinforced filament and earn even more bucks.
January 07, 2017 09:29AM
So it's got Soot in it.
January 07, 2017 09:40AM
MechaBits
So it's got Soot in it.

Pretty much smiling smiley I had some real CF tube that I cut down and sanded square for one project - that sure made a mess! Looks pretty though, they do a great job of the clear top coat over the woven fibers.
January 07, 2017 10:51AM
In the continuous fibre form, you would think a super furry fiber would help to bond with other layers(if hairs protruded from printed layer), and in the filaments with cf as additive, once again the furrier the better, also a rough print job, with high temp ooze blobs etc could help inter layer bonding too? Carbon Tubes could act like lattice structure...but how do you get plastic inside tube, it would be too small for flow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 02:33PM by MechaBits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login