Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best 3D CAD Software for Highschool, Middleschool students

Posted by owism8 
Best 3D CAD Software for Highschool, Middleschool students
February 16, 2011 09:48PM
Hello.

I am a teacher at a middle school.

What are your suggestions for the best (easy to use, user friendly, easy to learn, dynamic) CAD software out there.

I saw google sketchup the most intuitive, but was confused if it offers ability to draw things which are of the size to be printed on the REPRAP. Second most convinient i saw was FreeCad.

Anyone have real experience with free 3d cad software kits?

Thanks for your time and input. Great community all!
Re: Best 3D CAD Software for Highschool, Middleschool students
February 17, 2011 02:43AM
I use OpenSCAD whenever I can (because I am an old PovRay user and the language is almost identical) but Google Sketchup is certainly a FREE, powerful and easy to use program - and yes you can draw things in millimeters and export to STL (with a plugin that you have to download). Sometimes you need to use another program such as netfab Studio Basic to make the part manifold, but it works.

If the object is not manifold then some software has problems with it.

Do the following:
Download the netfabb Studio Basic software.
Install it.
Double click on an .stl file (netfabb Studio Basic should start and open the file).
Click on the RED PLUS in the TOOL BAR.
On the bottom right click on the "Apply Repair" button.
Click on "YES" when the "Remove old part?" confirmation question appears.
Select from the main menu "Part - Export part - as STL (binary/ASCII)" and specify the pathname.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 17, 2011 08:03AM
Thanks for the advice.

I noticed the plugin doesn't work for Sketchup 8, it only works for Sketchup7.

If anyone has the file to install 7, please let me know.
February 17, 2011 08:19AM
Download Google Sketchup 7

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
February 17, 2011 08:20AM
February 17, 2011 08:39AM
I just updated to Sketchup 8 and used the Export to DXF/STL PlugIn without any problems.
You of course have to copy it into the Google SketchUp 8\Plugins directory...
I am sure the Export to STL PlugIn will also work with Google SketchUp 8.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
February 17, 2011 08:51AM
Great. Thanks guys. Your a big help. This community is really active, I think I'll like my projects on reprap.

My huxley is coming tonight from TechZonecom

Pretty excited. Any advice before I start the build? I know i heard from other reprappers that I shouldve bought a Prusa, but I thought this would be great for my middle school tech classes, I can travel with it, and plus I can print a Prusa from it.

Any thoughts?
February 17, 2011 10:34AM
I just thought of a reason why the the plugin might not have worked. Im using a Mac smiling smiley. No regrets though, I'll just install it on my virtualbox Windows spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 17, 2011 11:15AM
OK the exporter works now. A silly messup on my part tongue sticking out smiley. Wrong plugin folder.

I'll keep you guys updated. I'm currently working on a curriculum for middle school and highschool students to better their mathematics and science skills. Engineering from start to finish. Im really excited about it! I saw a student at Cornell is doing a similar program [fabathomebeta.mae.cornell.edu] but I havn't seen a structured curriculum around Rapid prototyping.

Let me know what you think. Maybe we can have another thread for this discussion?
February 17, 2011 11:27AM
I've used this plugin to clean up my models:

[forums.sketchucation.com]

works fine with sketchup 8
February 17, 2011 05:01PM
ProDesktop, simple, VERY easy to use CAD modelling software, which can conveniantly export files into STL >grinning smiley<
February 18, 2011 03:13AM
Creo Elements/Pro Schools Edition

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
February 20, 2011 08:25AM
I have two programs used for reprap. heekscad and openscad.

what about heekscad? it seems easier that most cad to add in shapes, position and size them. also you could use open-scad. both those are free fully 3d cad programs.

I would prefer to know and use open-scad, because you can program in repeatable objects and shapes. it is easy to export to stl, and you can remark out outside elements to see working parts inside your design. I'll admit though i copy my designs from hand drawn work and then code it in.
heekscad basically allows you to put a shape in and then size it and angle it and scale it easily. heeks is more gui. scad allows more complex designs. i do not know if heekscad is programmable as of yet.

openscad [www.openscad.org]

heekscad [code.google.com]

3D printing allows for unthinkable things to be done. Heekscad greatest secret is the ability to import several stl files together, manipulating them to fit on your print bed size. Openscad can be great because it shows your students math and programming concepts, that are becoming not only useful but time savings necessities in daily life. IMHO
February 20, 2011 08:31AM
Thanks for your input James.

I'll get cranking on learning how to use these programs and will be conducting a summer program for middle school students to pilot this course out.

Just wanted to share the build I have of the Huxley so far. Will be buying tools today to complete the build (drill, soldering iron). Just have the frame so far, really excited! Got it from [www.techzonecom.com]

Attached is the photo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login