Posted by ostamo2 
Which stepper from pololu
February 16, 2011 10:03PM
I am wanting to order Steppers from pololu
should i get these
[www.pololu.com]
or these
[www.pololu.com]

i would like to know because i chose the product number 1209 and want to make sure i have not made a mistake
because i can change it if i know quickly enough
Re: Which stepper from pololu
February 17, 2011 06:41AM
I..

OK, the first ones are NEMA 17 which are mianly used for the Mendal, Prusa. The second ones are NEMA 14 which are used for the Huxley.

Hope that helps

Auzze
Gordon
April 26, 2011 08:44AM
Has anyone tried the nema 14's for the prusa model? Of course i bought them instead of the nema 17... It looks like they should work i'm just worried about overheating...

Auzze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I..
>
> OK, the first ones are NEMA 17 which are mianly
> used for the Mendal, Prusa. The second ones are
> NEMA 14 which are used for the Huxley.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Auzze
April 26, 2011 12:42PM
You want to set the POT to the lowest current setting, and rotate CW in small increments until the motor and its load (say the X carriage) move smoothly. Once you get to that point, take it up just a tiny bit, or none at all. You really want to run things at the lowest possible current setting. With these underpowered drivers, I don't know. I would think you would be OK. Make sure you heat sink them though. Better safe than sorry.
April 26, 2011 02:00PM
Thanks. Im also going to try to put a thermal barrier between the motor and the plastic. Maybe a thin piece of wood. Hopefully this will stop most of the heat.
May 03, 2011 06:20AM
Gordon

What I did (with an Adrian's extruder) was to insert a many folded piece of aluminium foil between the plastic and motor as I thought it may have been the motor heating up my bearing which ran against the plastic which in turn was heating up and softening the plastic, causing feed failures.

The tin foil stuck out at the top and the sides which I fanned out a little, allowing heat to wick off. Seemed to work.

Also, reduced the pot setting which has resulted in a cooler motor.
May 03, 2011 09:18PM
Are your printed parts made with PLA? With the ABS parts on mine, there are no issues with the plastic getting soft due to the steppers. It used to run warm to hot to the touch with Gen 3 extruder controllers, but since I switched over to Pololu controllers, they have been running very cool that it shouldn't pose any problems for PLA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login