Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fastest 3D-Printer in the World

Posted by Kolbi 
Fastest 3D-Printer in the World
January 23, 2017 09:23PM
Hi Guys,

Which is the actual fastest printer in the world, driven by nema17 motors and filament spool?

No concepts, only built and working printers.

Which

- Acceleration X,Y & Z
- Max-Speed
- Retract Speed
- Print Speed

is state of the art?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 08:02PM by Kolbi.

Homepage
Re: Fastest 3D-Printer in the World
January 23, 2017 10:04PM
I doubt many people know for sure.

In broad terms, the fastest moves are Deltas using line and capstans instead of belts and gears. Although I daresay there are posters here using corexy to get faster movement speeds and acceleration. CoreXY would be my choice for going for a speed record, but movement speed is pretty much irrelevent if you can't extrude evenly at those speeds.

In terms of print speed, seem to recall a video from Josef Prusa a few years back demonstrating 280mm/s. Not so easy to do that. Heater cartridges can only be made so small and only give off so many watts to heat up filament prior to being extruded.

Having said that, I think Prusa Research are much more geared up now to producing user-friendly, reliable printers rather than pure speed. Seems to be the case the me, and that is what most new buyers really want - hassle free printing.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 10:26PM by DragonFire.
January 24, 2017 12:14AM
Airwolf Axiom gets my vote for state of the art.
Fastest would be the 3DP by MadeInSpace, escape velocity is like 25,000 mph!
January 24, 2017 12:21AM
Are you serious? That prusa in the video is freakin slow...

Also 280mm/s is not so hard with low acceleration.

Are there any machines which achieve XYZ-speeds above 500mm/s @ 10000mm/s²

Homepage
January 24, 2017 12:27AM
Ignoring the mechanical requirements to move the extruder around that fast, what do you think happens to molten plastic when you squirt it out a nozzle that fast? Once it leaves the nozzle you have no control over it- it will do whatever it wants until it cools enough that it can't. You may get a mechanism working that fast but prints will come out looking like bird's nests.

A better question to ask is what is the maximum speed an FDM printer can go and still deliver a quality print (however you define quality)? What is the speed limit for molten plastic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 12:28AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 24, 2017 12:45AM
Kolbi
Are you serious? That prusa in the video is freakin slow...

Also 280mm/s is not so hard with low acceleration.

Ya won't get there at 1g, and like I said, the fast extrusion approach isn't something that Prusa Research are pushing for right now. Doing reliable out of the box printers is.

If you want to see really fast, try this;-

[3dprint.com]

You want to know how? Ask them, not me.
January 24, 2017 12:45AM
Sorry, my english is not the best, just want to know the fastest printer please.

Edit: With Filament Spool and Nema17 motors, no laser machines, completely different process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 12:47AM by Kolbi.

Homepage
January 24, 2017 01:33AM
This is what has to be beaten:

Red Delta Deluxe

- 400mm/s @ 12.500mm/s² in X, Y AND Z
- Retracts @ 15000mm/s²

The bit smaller one reaches up to 600mm/s:

Black Delta Deluxe

Short moves are faster than the human eye can recognise, and the prints look good, see video part3.

The speed is limited by the weight of the hotend, for now i print max 150-200mm/s with slower accelerations during print moves and get very good surface, waterthight and +/- 0,02mm deviation each 100mm.

For more pictures look HERE, if you need info, i try to translate.

So can i say its the fastest printer (with spool and nema17) in the world?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 01:36AM by Kolbi.

Homepage
January 24, 2017 01:36AM
Yeah, if you want. Some deltas claim 1000mm/s but nobody believes they actually print that fast. 600mm/s is the limit I've seen, but so what?

It's the difference between a reliable road vehicle and a dragster. They both do the same thing, but I know which solution I'd prefer day to day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 01:40AM by DragonFire.
January 24, 2017 01:37AM
I want to know, believing is for religious people spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Homepage
January 24, 2017 02:01AM
Mine is the fastest...
January 24, 2017 04:19AM
At least i proved with videos. Sure, its hard to believe what is possible, but the videos are not faked.

I search and search, but cant find faster printers on youtube.

Homepage
January 24, 2017 04:30AM
Kolbi
This is what has to be beaten:

Red Delta Deluxe

- 400mm/s @ 12.500mm/s² in X, Y AND Z
- Retracts @ 15000mm/s²

The bit smaller one reaches up to 600mm/s:

Black Delta Deluxe

Short moves are faster than the human eye can recognise, and the prints look good, see video part3.

The speed is limited by the weight of the hotend, for now i print max 150-200mm/s with slower accelerations during print moves and get very good surface, waterthight and +/- 0,02mm deviation each 100mm.

For more pictures look HERE, if you need info, i try to translate.

So can i say its the fastest printer (with spool and nema17) in the world?

The machines in the video look reasonably fast but not crazy-fast, you want to see fast [www.youtube.com] but notice how there is no video of it printing anything at these speeds.

I'll do a video tonight of my Koseel XL going as fast as it can. I don't normally do this as I want prints to come out looking beautiful and dimensionally accurate. As was said above you will be limited by your hotend's ability to melt the plastic. I like the race car analogy its great if you can accelerate from 0-60 in 1 second but not great if you cannot do it without losing control and crashing. Stick some rocket boosters on your pickup truck, it'll be fast but utterly useless during its few seconds as a vehicle.

Perimeters, infill, they all print at different speeds. If you are using lower accelerations then it is irrelevant how fast you ask it to move, as it doesn't have the space to accelerate to those speeds and therefore is not printing at those speeds. How do you set the speed? In your slicer? Or by turning up the feedrate on the printer?

The best test is a reference object to print in the fastest time possible such as this: [www.thingiverse.com], you need to print a half cal-block in 1 hour or less. And you need to upload your make, and a copy of your console output or something similar to prove you did it. Mine's in the make's on Thingiverse, its not the best but I was very pleased to print it in the time I did.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 07:36AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
January 24, 2017 08:46AM
Any discussion of how fast a printer is needs to include the extrusion rate in mm3/s, otherwise the discussion is just about travel speeds.
January 24, 2017 08:55AM
57min is really good, restekp!

I printed the half cal block in 49min, and made a video to proof if if anybody wants to see.

The part looks a bit shitty because of weak cooling/bad overhangs, but with better cooling and calibration it should snap perfectly into another:

Homepage
January 24, 2017 09:13AM
Well done. 49 mins is a fast printer. I think though you also highlight the fact that plastic responds in certain ways which are difficult to overcome. Sure you can try to cool faster, but you can't pump 100's litre/air per minute across the part without cooling the bed and the hotend. If we are going to print a lot faster, say 10 times faster rather then 2-3 times faster which is what you and I are achieving with our deltas, we need to either develop better plastics, or think laterally, what about multiple nozzle printing like an inkjet - I am not saying this is feasible but its the sort of direction we should consider.

I got a volcano hotend on my corexy thinking I could go faster with big nozzles, but the heater can't melt the plastic fast enough to infill quicker than 50mm/s with a 1.0mm nozzle, so a stronger/rougher finished part but quicker? Not by much.

Maybe we should look into higher powered heater blocks.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
January 24, 2017 09:20AM
DjDemonD
Maybe we should look into higher powered heater blocks.

Yes, I hit the same issue with big nozzles. I've been toying with an idea for putting a heater cartridge on either side of the nozzle for double the melt rate.
January 24, 2017 09:52AM
The hotend cooldown because of fat fans is a big problem, and burns the plastic when you go up with temperature. This is why i use low power heater and point-cooling only, and i will make a lightwight wind-shield for the hotend like on my first printer, which prevents cooldown.

I already made a second cal block and they snap nearly perfect! No more calibration needed, just efficient cooling for nice overhangs and a 10x lighter hotend for more acceleration drinking smiley

It will take some time to upload the videos, can show them later.

smileys with beer

Homepage
VDX
January 24, 2017 09:57AM
... I've tested the max. possible speeds with my "CNC-Simply"-prototype, but it has NEMA23 steppers, not NEMA17 ...

[vimeo.com]

[vimeo.com]

With tweaking the values up to 800mm/s seems doable, but printing with more than 300mm/s won't give reproducible results ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 24, 2017 10:05AM
U sure your Delta wasnt filmed at 12fps

Might of known, VDX has the fastest ;-{0)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 10:13AM by MechaBits.
January 24, 2017 07:22PM
Honestly, this speed is slow for nema23, and off topic, because not meeting the specifications.

Please only printers with Spool, Nema17, and proof of speed and printing in this thread!

Also, there is no proof of framerate, i made it in my video where you can see me talk and move winking smiley

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=9g-8WVeFQqc

Homepage
January 24, 2017 08:14PM
OK, I saw the machine wobbling around very impressively at high speed. Youtube is littered with such videos. It's funny how they all concentrate on the speed of motion but don't really show the print in any detail. I noticed that while your infill was really fast, printing slowed considerably for the perimeters. In my experience, that's going to result in weak prints.

The print quality of the calibration block looked unacceptable to me because I'm used to producing stuff like this:

which hold up very nicely even to microscopic examination:

I have run into very few situations in which the speed of printing is more important the the quality of the print, but maybe things are different for you. When people compare two finished prints, they have no idea how fast the parts were printed, but they sure can tell if one is much better quality than the other.

Speed is vastly overrated.

January 24, 2017 09:42PM
Thats off topic.

I can also print very beautiful surfaces, and that very fast.

Homepage
January 24, 2017 11:22PM
Yes, you can print fast, but at what level of diminishing quality does the print cease to be the part that was designed? If you design a gear and your printer produces a bird's nest at 800 mm/sec, is it still a gear? Even if the print is not intended to be a mechanically functional part, if it doesn't look like what the designer intended, what's the point of 3D printing it (at 800 mm/sec)? Maybe some other method of fabrication would be better.

There's a simple test: does the print look like something you'd be happy to receive if you paid money for it? If I bought a 3D printer kit and the printed parts that came with it looked like your calibration block, I'd be pretty unhappy. What's the point in printing fast if the quality is so poor no one would want the parts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 11:26PM by the_digital_dentist.

January 25, 2017 12:39AM
what do the prints look like at 200m/s?
January 25, 2017 02:02AM
I alredy told the quality is because of the insufficient cooling, you should already know and see that in the video.

The new point-cooling i made today seems to work much better. Just a small 5V 370mA radial blower with 2 pipes and printed cap is all i need.

Trying to break my record this moment, i switched to 2 perimeters instead of 3, changed infill to line instead rectilinear, plus 10mm/s mor solid and infill speed.
This time it has much better overhangs and surface, this is at 17min print time:

Homepage
January 25, 2017 02:59AM
Guess how long it took

Homepage
January 25, 2017 03:37AM
35 mins?

Simon Khoury

January 25, 2017 05:40AM
Wow, you guessed good, it was 38min!

Here´s the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7_bUrkuHyk

This time, the part has acceptable quality, and if nobody can beat my time, i claim the title "Fastest Printer in the World" in the Nema17/Filament class.

Homepage
January 25, 2017 06:00AM
I haven't even found time to have a try yet. winking smiley

The problem with this claim is like Digital Dentist said above, speed only counts if it meets a minimum quality and since quality is very subjective its not as simple as saying I printed this in 38mins. That only counts if you printed something decent in 38 mins, who's going to be the judge?

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login